The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
LeesTruk

Steering column swap w/cruise

I asked this question in the 73-87 section but I probably should have asked here. I'm swapping the steering column in my '80 C10 2wd shortbed to a unit from an '86 truck w/tilt, auto shifter, cruise. I'm doing this because my stock column has no shifter, and I'm doing a 5.3L/4L60e conversion. Can I just wire the stock cruise switch to the TAC module, or will I have to use a relay system? My engine is DBW. I'll leave the wiper switch in the dash and hi beam switch on the floor. Being period correct is not a necessity, but functionality is.
Thanks

Later...

Lee
LeesTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
68c10airstream

Re: Steering column swap w/cruise

Hi, welcome aboard Lee. Get with ls1nova, he's very helpful, and he has a writeup on here about exactly what you are asking . Under the search quere box near the top of the page (check 67-72chevytrucks.com box instead of web box being checked) put in dbw cruise or electric speedo and ls1nova article should come up, been there many times. Click on ls1nova page and read his posts should also get you the info you need. Good luck on your project.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
clinebarger

The later style stalks with the Wiper & Dimmer controls are very easy to wire for cruise, Color to color in fact.

You can probably count on it needing a new stalk & wiper switch & while your in there..Loctite the 4 Torx screws that always loosen-up!

Make sure to get the wiper delay module, You will love delay wipers!
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:05 AM   #4
ls1nova71

Make sure you get the pigtail that the cruise switch plugs into. It will have 4 wires, there will be a pink wire which is ignition voltage, and the other three will wire to the TAC module, gray-on/off, dark blue-set/coast and dark green-resume/accel.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:42 AM   #5
LeesTruk

Thanks gents. I appreciate the responses. Concerning the pigtail, I may have to make my own. I have boxes of them from my dealership days (worked as a line tech for over 25 yrs.), plus terminal pins/crimping tools. Doing electrical diagnostics and wiring has always been the cool part of fixing cars. Now that I'm retired and no longer have access to AllData kinda makes things a little bit more of a challenge. Thanks again

Later...

Lee
Old 03-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
68c10airstream

Lee, in the electrical section get with a guy from michigan with the avatar name "VetteVet", He is super helpful, has the wiring diagrams for at least 67-72 if not more, and has the know how to back it up. I have access to alldata pro through a friend that has a repair garage. I work 12 hour shifts so in time i can get the info too. I was a ase master tech of 30 plus years and specialized in electrical and driveability issues. Good luck, Brian Fuller
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:51 AM   #7
LeesTruk

Thanks, Brian
Old 03-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #8
LeesTruk

Okay, one more question here, before I put this to bed. I've gotten ahold of a '05 Tahoe (my engine/TAC application) cruise schematic. I can "see" the integration of the TAC module and my cruise stalk wiring (per your guidance), and I can follow the TAC output to the PCM. PCM connector C1 pin 58 is the output to the IPC module as serial data when the cruise command is set. Can this be used as the voltage required to drive a light bulb for cruise set indication? Thanks

Lee
Old 03-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #9
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesTruk View Post
Okay, one more question here, before I put this to bed. I've gotten ahold of a '05 Tahoe (my engine/TAC application) cruise schematic. I can "see" the integration of the TAC module and my cruise stalk wiring (per your guidance), and I can follow the TAC output to the PCM. PCM connector C1 pin 58 is the output to the IPC module as serial data when the cruise command is set. Can this be used as the voltage required to drive a light bulb for cruise set indication? Thanks

Lee
No, the serial data wire doesnt put out a voltage when the cruise is set, it doesnt work that way.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote