The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2015, 11:17 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Edge display

Has anyone used the edge tuner display I stead of regular guages.

The price is much cheaper then guages, and has a neat look if mounted right.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:42 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Edge display

People have used Scangauges, Racepak's etc, which are all digital gauge replacements. You probably won't find too many with the edge tuner, as handhelds aren't as popular as the EfiL/HpT tuning suites.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
Chris Coufal

I'm also currently looking into the Edge 4.3 Touch screen Insight CTS. I want just the display, not the kit that actually allows 3 different tunes. I want to be able to monitor the various parameters of my setup without having 1 million gauges in the dash. And yes....I think if properly mounted it would look killer. I was thinking of something similar to the new Chevy trucks where it's an info panel mounted in the center with the tach/speedo mounted on each side.

https://edgeproducts.com/products/insight-cts-83830/

Chris Coufal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

If it really doesn't require the Edge tuning stuff, then it looks pretty cool. The tuning stuff is a turnoff with the all-in-on packages.

I wonder how it compares price-wise to using one of those smartphone OBD adapters and mounting a 80$ tablet in the dash.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Edge display

So form what I just read you can tune your truck for the track then tune it back down for gas milage to drive back home. Is this correct, if so I could see this being very helpful. It would be nice to set it up on Economy for the HRPT and then for racing it at the venues.

https://edgeproducts.com/products/gm-evoht-26030/

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

I wonder if I could tune it, and load tunes onto the edge.

Either way I think the display alone maybe worth the price of admission. If they can give me a couple of "custom" canned tunes to put off buying a tuner while my project develops.

My big problem is lack of tuning options for my engine.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:58 AM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Thats the thing, you want to avoid those tuners. Unless you use a complete aftermarket EFI system, or go Megasquirt or similar...the only good options are Hp Tuners, or EFI Live.

The "flash" or "handheld" style tuners like Edge, Diablo, SCT and the like don't offer a lot of the features that I consider ideal for tuning. While they are getting better in terms of being able to use fuller interfaces, they don't have the level of support, or in depth tuneability that the ECM tuning interfaces do.

It looks like you can use the Edge display with the Edge tuning IF you really have to...BUT it looks like you can use it without that tuning, which is where its probably best. That way you can still tune with a full suite program, but have the cool display and interactive readout etc.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust

HP tuners does not support my engine, and the only one I have found that does is SCT.

I want the display not so much the canned tune. If they can give me a canned tune to get the initial start up, and running of the engine that is bonus points. I just want the display instead of guages in my concept as of now.

I am not interested in MS because they do not offer complete control like a factory computer, and I am not going to use a manual trans at this point.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

Just checked efi live does not support the engine either.

Which is a 4.6 2V out of a 97 Crown Vic.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #10
akdg87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Has anyone used the edge tuner display I stead of regular guages.

The price is much cheaper then guages, and has a neat look if mounted right.
the only downfall is you wont have oil pressure displayed on the edge scanner, at least in the few harnesses i've used for ls swaps the oil pressure sensor is independent of the ls harness.
2009 CTSV Sedan
akdg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Just checked efi live does not support the engine either.

Which is a 4.6 2V out of a 97 Crown Vic.
I always forget your doing the non-chevy situation. This is natures way of punishing inferior products.

I talked to my guy who is a pretty prominent tuner, and his advice for the early ford stuff is going with something like the SCT Vivid Linq. With the SCT stuff, you can get a more-full suite type program, but its not part of the handhelds that are offered. From what he told me the Vivid linq allows the remote-tuning of your vehicle. Its better than a canned tune by far, and at least on the tuners end would have some of the more advanced functions.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:56 PM   #12
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdg87 View Post
the only downfall is you wont have oil pressure displayed on the edge scanner, at least in the few harnesses i've used for ls swaps the oil pressure sensor is independent of the ls harness.
Also fuel level is not displayed.

I want to see if i can do it since that part of the project is a few months away.

Just trying to finalize plans now, and sort out research.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:03 AM   #13
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I always forget your doing the non-chevy situation. This is natures way of punishing inferior products.

I talked to my guy who is a pretty prominent tuner, and his advice for the early ford stuff is going with something like the SCT Vivid Linq. With the SCT stuff, you can get a more-full suite type program, but its not part of the handhelds that are offered. From what he told me the Vivid linq allows the remote-tuning of your vehicle. Its better than a canned tune by far, and at least on the tuners end would have some of the more advanced functions.
I almost got a LS engine for the swap, but the deal fell through. Which I would of been happy with, but I still needed an engine.

The 4.6 is the best of the Mod motors for swap-ability, and aftermarket support. I am not describing power. Just the options it has as a platform for swaps.

I have seen the SCT suite, and it is likely the one I will buy. Especially when non bolt-ons start hitting the motor. i could live with a basic canned tune to get rid of stuff, and get me down the road. Only if it comes with a cool display screen.

Also I have explored auto meter gauges, and like their products.

I just picked up a set of chinese Stainless headers for $280 delivered for the project, and got a new bmx bike to ride along with my Boy on.