The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #1
66shortbox

97 Corvette into a 72 C10

Hey all

pretty new to the site and the whole LS Swap in general. I have found an entire drive train from a 97 C5 Vette, engine, trans, torque tube, harness and computer. I am wanting to put in my 72 C10, Obviously not wanting the torque tube, but this should just be a 4L60e right? and should be able to remove the torque tube and bolt the eninge and trans together correct?

Also just making sure but since this came out of the corvette this would be the drive by wire? My dad saw the engine i didnt so just trying to check. Any help is appreciated with this guys!

Thanks!
66shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: 97 Corvette into a 72 C10

The 4L60E used in C5 Corvette's will not fit anything but a C5, The Bellhousing, Case, Pump, Input Drum & Output shaft is different.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Thats a first-year LS1, which is not usually what you want to get into. The corvette stuff is pretty much specific to 'vettes. Front pulleys are all 'vette setup, the trans is 'vette only, the computer is different....all in all just NOT worth it for a swap vehicle IMO
(unless that swap vehicle could retain the tq tube setup and IRS from the vette, then it would be cool).

You can get the truck motors cheaper and far more readily, genIII or gen IV. If you want to stay all aluminum for weight, there are options for that as well.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

You can get the truck motors cheaper and far more readily, genIII or gen IV. If you want to stay all aluminum for weight, there are options for that as well.[/QUOTE]

This is sound advice and you don't have to reinvent the wheel. There are lots of threads on this forum and nearly every aspect of the swap has been posted by someone here. I'd shy away form the vette setup as well as others have indicated. Welcome to the board.
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
66shortbox

what we are kinda looking at is getting a Vette engine, computer, and harness, the place we are also getting this from is giving us the trans and computer as well from a 00 Camaro. This should bolt up right? Probly not the best way to go about it but my dad is dead set on this LS1 haha.

Thanks for all the info guys! i really appreciate it
Old 03-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

The fbody 4l60e will bolt to the 'vette engine, but the computer from the 00 Camaro will not run that 'vette engine without some alterations. Those first year vette's used a different ECM than the newer stuff, and they were also DBW, which the fbody never got.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
Matt Cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
The fbody 4l60e will bolt to the 'vette engine, but the computer from the 00 Camaro will not run that 'vette engine without some alterations. Those first year vette's used a different ECM than the newer stuff, and they were also DBW, which the fbody never got.
I'd expect you could use the Camaro wiring harness and throttle body on the '97 engine and that would account for most of the differences.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

If he's got the Camaro ECM and a DBC, then as long as it bolts up, he can ditch the Corvette DBW system and run the 97 off of the 2000 ECM. But afaik running the dbw system off the 2000 ecm wouldn't work, as there wouldn't be a compatible TAC module between the two.

I'm sure it can be made to work, I just think that it may incur more headaches and cost than its worth for said engine.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #9
66shortbox

We are getting Both ECMs but only the harness from the corvette, so at this point we are still up in the air as to what we will do for sure as far as the throttle system goes. with that tho. I would need a new pedal assembly for the DBW right? would the corvette pedal assy work?
Old 03-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

To make that dbw work, you'd need a pedal off the same early year 'vette.

You might want to think about having a harness made for you (it will eliminate all the unused emissions stuff, and can be setup for different trans, injectors, anything else you may want to do). It solves a ton of headaches, and the 97 c5 harnesses are actually pretty hard to find. You might be better off selling the complete c5 harness to a c5 owner who needs it, and buying a new harness for your swap.

You can run the Camaro ECM + made harness + DBC and be good to go.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #11
66shortbox

So few things have happened since I posted last. Ended up getting the LS1 from a 97 Vette, got the computer from that vehicle. also got the wiring from I believe an 01 5.3 truck. We are having the 5.3 harness converted over to work with the LS1, i think its mostly just deleting the emissions and the injector clips changed. Also getting rid of the DBW system and going with a cable set up. Still have the complete C5 harness to go with it. also got a 4L60e out of an 00 Camaro to go with it.

Now my question is with the Fuel system, so on that engine it has 2 fuel lines on the driver side coming off of it, and this is a return style engine. is it easy to make it a returnless system? Can i just get new fuel rails and that be it? Thanks again for the advise guys!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:06 PM   #12
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66shortbox View Post

Now my question is with the Fuel system, so on that engine it has 2 fuel lines on the driver side coming off of it, and this is a return style engine. is it easy to make it a returnless system? Can i just get new fuel rails and that be it?
You could just swap to an f body fuel rail, but why do you want to do that? So you can run a $50 fuel filter? I would just hook the feed and return lines up and be done with it.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:21 AM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66shortbox View Post
So few things have happened since I posted last. Ended up getting the LS1 from a 97 Vette, got the computer from that vehicle. also got the wiring from I believe an 01 5.3 truck. We are having the 5.3 harness converted over to work with the LS1, i think its mostly just deleting the emissions and the injector clips changed. Also getting rid of the DBW system and going with a cable set up. Still have the complete C5 harness to go with it. also got a 4L60e out of an 00 Camaro to go with it.

Now my question is with the Fuel system, so on that engine it has 2 fuel lines on the driver side coming off of it, and this is a return style engine. is it easy to make it a returnless system? Can i just get new fuel rails and that be it? Thanks again for the advise guys!
The ECM connectors on the LS1's and the trucks are different. The plugs physically won't fit without altercation. The 97 might be a PWM fuel system which isn't the normal return style, but you can make a few simple changes to run a normal return style. Don't bother going thru the work to make it a returnless system, as there aren't any advantages if your already setup to run return.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:41 AM   #14
ls1nova71

Quote:
The ECM connectors on the LS1's and the trucks are different. The plugs physically won't fit without altercation. The 97 might be a PWM fuel system which isn't the normal return style, but you can make a few simple creturn styes to run a normal return style. Don't bother going thru the work to make it a returnless system, as there aren't any advantages if your already setup to run return.
The older truck harnesses (blue/red) are very similar to LS1 harnesses, so that shouldnt be a problem. As for the fuel system, it's a standard return style with a vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator. It can be hooked up just easy as any return style rail.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:23 AM   #15
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I thought that the little nubs on the outside of the connectors were in different places. You had to sand them off so it would line up correctly.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #16
ls1nova71

Quote:
I thought that the little nubs on the outside of the connectors were in different places. You had to sand them off so it would line up correctly.
That is if you are using a 2003-2007 truck harness (blue/green) with an older PCM, the 411 for example. This is usually done when someone is trying to convert to DBC with a newer engine/PCM that doesn't have IAC drivers in it. The older truck harnesses (99-02) are blue/red, just like the LS1's. Essentially all he would need to do if he has the 01 harness and PCM and wants to change to DBC, is change the injector plugs, and maybe the MAF/IAT plugs depending on which MAF he has, and run a 99-02 Camaro tune in it and fine tune it from there.