The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2015, 11:23 PM   #1
76Blue_Beast

Barn doors and grill

Hello guys and gals,

I've bought a new edition to the family. I've a 91 suburban. Came with a crate 350 and has 115 on the body and 15k on the motor. Love this beast but it has a barn door that is white and bent at the top. I was looking to see what years will fit this last year of the square bodies? Also can I use a tailgate from a blazer?

Next question would be about the grill. I wanted to clean the front up and wanted to know what grill years will fit the 91 and will a blazer one fit or a truck and can I use what years? I wanted to throw different lights in it and wanted to maybe swap for an older year single light instead of the double.
Attached Images

76Blue_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Burbnasty

Re: Barn doors and grill

That's a great find.

I'm pretty sure that any of the barn doors from any year burb will work. If you are asking about switching to a tailgate (from either a burb or a blazer) any year will also work, however you have a decent amount of work involved in the swap. I personally like the gate better, I think most like the barn doors better.

The easiest thing for a tailgate swap would be a doner vehicle, this way you would have all parts. I believe that up to a certain year, all of the holes that you need are pre drilled from the factory ( someone else can chime in on this) I think it would be easier to find a non power tailgate, this way you wouldn't have to run wiring to the dash and to a switch. Again I'm not 100 percent on this but its what I remember.

As far as the front clip, once again I think your is the one that everyone likes the best. I am with you and like the older style better. I think that the 80s style grille/ core support will bolt right up to your fenders, but I wasn't sure how old you meant by "single style". If you went to the 70s style you would need the entire front clip. This is something I have considered doing to my 86 if I could ever find a clean 70s front. I personally like that style the best.

Easiest thing to do would be to get a nice set of aftermarket bright lights for your grill, and find another barn door, but I like where your heads at with the swap idea.

Best of luck
Burbnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #3
76Blue_Beast

Burbnasty, thanks for the insight. Yeah it had a gate before my time and then was converted to the barn doors. So I'm pretty lucky to have both options. As far as the grill goes, I like the 80's grills so I'd be interested but also willing to find a good set of lights too for an alternative. Just wasn't sure what years would fit for parts as I've always had trucks and not a Burb.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:59 AM   #4
dragonball98312

If you want a tail gate you'll need one from a suburban not a blazer. They are completely different
dragonball98312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:29 PM   #5
76Blue_Beast

Ok cool I'm open to either or. Just wanted to get a color match or something.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

There may be some sort of aftermarket composite lights offered somewhere, but nothing GM. Many go back to the glass bulbs of the early GMT400s on the later ones.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:11 AM   #7
kwin

I have a barn door suburban and a tailgate suburban. In my opinion the tailgate is a pain in the a**. The electric windows are prone for problems, crawling across them to reach into the cargo area is a pain and the big one is the rear glass.
When I bought my 91 my uncle who owned several said find a spare rear window because sooner or later it will explode.
I re did my interior last year and when I replaced the carpet in the cargo area the pad under the carpet had glass in it.
It had blown out once already. I will convert my tailgate burb to barn doors as soon as I find the parts.
Which ever way you go good luck and nice find.

Keith

www.ramsaywinsor.com
kwin is offline   Reply With Quote