The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
thotfulspot

Starting engine build and install resources

I've got a '57 Chevy 3100 that I'm starting to get ready for a motor build and install that I'm looking for threads or other resources to use. There are so many threads it's overwhelming and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I'm starting from scratch. The setup so far will be a Porterbuilt air suspension, 9" rear, 4L80 transmission, and 20" wheels tires of some sort.

The motor is a new block resleeved by Steve at Race Engine Development. He does the initial boring. The heads are being built and getting the CNC work by Richard at West Coast Cylinder Heads. Richard also designed the cam for peak HP in the 4000 to 6000 RPM for better drivability. The truck is not being built for the track or anything like that. Just cruising, road trips, and occasional towing. Richard is very adamant that I use the truck intake to maximize the HP range. He considers all the aftermarket intakes are built for higher RPMs.

So that's where I'm at. I can get a Callies rotating assembly from Steve when the time comes based on a Dragon Slayer crank. It's going to be a couple months before Steve can do the block. I've got to finish the rest of the driveline any way. I'm in Flagstaff in Northern Arizona. I've found a couple shops in Phoenix to do the alignment and finish hone. I've been quoted from a local machine shop at $500, to a shop that does trophy trucks at $2500 to assemble the block.

Since I'm not doing replacement (old 350 gone) I have to start from scratch. I need to do figure out the wiring, sensors, ECU, and everything else to make it run. Steve said the closest setup is a LS7 since it is 427ci and that ECU doesn't do cylinder on demand or anything like that.

So where do I go from here? I have no emissions requirements here. Is it best to go with a aftermarket or a modified factory wiring harness with just the basics. Is the LS7 computer required? Any recommendations for someone to do either the assembly, wiring, and tuning the ECU? Phoenix is easiest, or Vegas is 4 hours away, if needed I can go to southern California. The block and heads will be in Southern California.

Is it best to use factory accessories, Holley brackets, or a drive system? What sensors do I need to keep?

Like I said, I'm looking for existing resources. I'm not looking for someone to answer all the questions unless they have too much time on their hands.

Thanks,

Ron
thotfulspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
t-tung

Re: Starting engine build and install resources

PSI for the harness. It's really clean and all you have to do it is plug everything in and hook up 4 wires to power/ground. The guys with PSI are very helpfull. I'd look for a local tuner to do the computer for you. Dirty Dingo for your mounts. Not sure on the rest
t-tung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
thotfulspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-tung View Post
PSI for the harness. It's really clean and all you have to do it is plug everything in and hook up 4 wires to power/ground. The guys with PSI are very helpfull. I'd look for a local tuner to do the computer for you. Dirty Dingo for your mounts. Not sure on the rest
Thanks, I'll check them out. I've looked at the Dirty Dingo mounts. I don't have any of the accessories, so it may be cheaper to buy a whole set.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:37 AM   #4
H20cooled

I have a BP Automotive harness and I'm very happy with it and the info they sent with it for connecting, as a first time LS swap user it was very helpful. They are also a forum sponsor too so that is nice.
H20cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
akdg87

truck style accessories are the easiest and cheapest to get (junkyard/ebay), and they seem to work in most applications well.
2009 CTSV Sedan
akdg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
thotfulspot

Is there a list somewhere of all the pieces to complete a motor? I'm starting with what will be a long block, but don't have one I'm replacing, so I need the various parts like the covers to complete it. I'm probably going to run some type of aftermarket serpentine system or the Holly brackets.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:00 AM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Take a look at the dealer parts breakouts. They show, and number, every part of the engine.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #8
thotfulspot

I'm probably an hour from the nearest dealer. I was hoping that someone had done the conversion had kept track and posted it somewhere.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #9
thotfulspot

Any other sources for a list of the miscellaneous parts needed for a Gen IV LS motor? I know some of the basics like the timing cover with cam trigger. A list or pointer to a list would help my short term memory losing brain.