The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #51
SCOTI

Re: Bagged Dually Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0185 View Post
Found a T at Napa for 2 $. Lol there wasnt a price on them so the guy just said how about 2 $ and I said sounds good to me. It's the push in kind. This is just a temp fix. Gonna replace the system cause the bags have some dry rot cracks in them. Not to bad but not something I would want to trust pulling a 5th wheel camper.

Is therd a way to ty them together with a compressor so I can flip a switch and air them up if I want? Dont really need to be fancy with a tank since they are just load helper bags.
Something like this is what you're looking for....
http://www.ridetech.com/store/small-...essor-kit.html
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #52
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Something like this is what you're looking for....
http://www.ridetech.com/store/small-...essor-kit.html
Nice!!! But now I have questions. In their instructions they use a T like I had planned on doing with just a Schrader valve. Wouldn't this promote air swapping like mentioned earlier? Years ago before all these air bags came out we had air shocks for this kinda thing and they just used a T to air them up. So what's the difference? Guess Im just old and not with the times anymore.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #53
SCOTI

Quote:
Nice!!! But now I have questions. In their instructions they use a T like I had planned on doing with just a Schrader valve. Wouldn't this promote air swapping like mentioned earlier? Years ago before all these air bags came out we had air shocks for this kinda thing and they just used a T to air them up. So what's the difference? Guess Im just old and not with the times anymore.
Yes, there will be air 'transfer' upon loading/un-loading of the suspension. But.... the leaves are there as well so it won't be like the bags are the only thing carrying the weight. Independant supply/control would be best especially if there are only bags suspending the vehicle.

For an occassional AOL set-up, I don't think it's a deal breaker using a T'd air supply.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #54
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Yes, there will be air 'transfer' upon loading/un-loading of the suspension. But.... the leaves are there as well so it won't be like the bags are the only thing carrying the weight. Independant supply/control would be best especially if there are only bags suspending the vehicle.

For an occassional AOL set-up, I don't think it's a deal breaker using a T'd air supply.
I was wondering cause I have the leaves there as well as dual wheels and a sway bar. Not gonna be a lot of transfer with all that I wouldn't think. I could however run both ports of the compressor and two gauges I guess.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #55
SCOTI

Quote:
I was wondering cause I have the leaves there as well as dual wheels and a sway bar. Not gonna be a lot of transfer with all that I wouldn't think. I could however run both ports of the compressor and two gauges I guess.
Personally.... I would ask "what is the intent of the AOL?".

If the intent is just too add some capacity to the rear springs ONLY when towing or carrying a HD load, I'd just run independant schrader valves to each side (or T them if you really want) & add air when needed. A set-up like this worked fine in my old 74swb.

The leaves were enough to carry normal weights so the bags only had minimal air in them. When needed, I'd just add some air (usually 30-40psi is all it ever took) & it was enough that I could tow my 18ft car trailer w/another c10 on it w/o squatting the rear. Then, when done working, bleed the air out. Just put the schraders in a convenient place. My bed floor had a tool/fuel box previously mounted so there were extra holes in front of the tubs so I just used those. On my 68, I hid them in the license plate frame (behind the flip up plate that allowed access to the hidden hitch). I planned to do the 74 the same way but the holes were already there in the floor....

It wasn't as easy as pushing a toggle switch to adjust but it was pretty effective (cost & performance).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #56
monte0185

The AOL is cause the PO removed all but 5 leaves. Which for a regular trailer like my 18ft with the cars I haul im sure would be fine but I also want to pull a 5th wheel camper which Ill need more support for. I plan on putting a hidden hitch behind the plate as well so ill probably just use Schraders as well but Ill get fancy after I get everything else taken care of. Just like knowing my options and what everyone else does in these situations.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:38 AM   #57
bluex

Ya i guess the t wouldn't be such a bad deal on a helper setup. Ive just always been told not to do it...
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #58
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
Ya i guess the t wouldn't be such a bad deal on a helper setup. Ive just always been told not to do it...
Oh I can understand the reasoning behind it most definitely and its not a bad idea by no means.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #59
monte0185

Got my drop brackets on today and my bags straightened out. They still hold air so for now im going to leave them. I think with the 2" this gave me and going back to 31" tires like whats supposed to be in there ill get the look im going for. If not then I can always add the rear shackles. Anyway on for some pics I know yall love.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #60
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I would do the shackles now while the bed is off,...

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #61
monte0185

Well Im fixing to get back on this. Been sporting it like it is for awhile but noticed a few things that need changed since Ill be getting a camper in the real near future.

First This home made bag setup has to go. Its starting to rub the edge of the tire well since i added the front shackles and before I add the back to go 2 inches lower I wanted to see what everyone else's setups are with helper bags with sizes and weights to make sure Ill be set to tow whatever. I think if i put the proper bag setup on it the issue i have now should go away but If it wont should I move the bags to the inside? If so how and pics please. I was looking at it yesterday and with the sway bar and shock mounts theres not alot of room. Oh and i dont want to but my frame or the bed floor. I need as much bed as I can get.

Second. What kind of setup do you run with a lowered truck and a camper as far as a hitch. 5th wheel or GN and will i need to raise it up in the bed to level out the camper as to not put too much strain on the camper axles?

Thanks,
Terry J.

Old setup are the first two and last two are of my issue after adding the front drop shackles.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #62
jwilson645

Doesn't look like there is that much interference. Why not just trim or roll that lip a little?
jwilson645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #63
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson645 View Post
Doesn't look like there is that much interference. Why not just trim or roll that lip a little?
I thought about that but the setup is not the best to begin with and it makes the bag sit crooked. On top of that the bags are pretty dry rotted and need replaced anyhow so I thought If im going to all the trouble of having to replace it I might as well as do it right. But thats just me. Im not a bandaid person.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #64
jwilson645

Quote:
I thought about that but the setup is not the best to begin with and it makes the bag sit crooked. On top of that the bags are pretty dry rotted and need replaced anyhow so I thought If im going to all the trouble of having to replace it I might as well as do it right. But thats just me. Im not a bandaid person.
That makes sense.
jwilson645 is offline   Reply With Quote