The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2015, 03:37 AM   #1
Lil Ape

is it common for this trans linkage nut to get loose?

A couple weeks ago I was in the truck heading to the exhaust shop when I noticed it wouldn't get out of 2nd gear while driving. Next thing I know, my gear shifter wasn't working. No reverse, neutral, park etc. Just 2nd. Well over the weekend I dropped the pan and found that the shift linkage inside was very loose and must have allowed the little arm with the wheel to fall off the ratchet mechanism(best way I can describe it). Which must have allowed the S shaped spring thinggy to disconnect from the valve body(which explains why it stuck me in 2nd).

Has anyone else had this problem? I got everything back together and tightened the crap out of that nut on the linkage shaft. And it all seems pretty stable now. It did have a lot of side to side play in it before. Fluid filled up and works as usual again. Just hoping it doesn't come loose again. Looking at the pic, the little arm with the roller is supposed to be in between the notches on the mechanism to the right. And the nut right above the arm was loose.
Lil Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: is it common for this trans linkage nut to get loose?

You are correct: the roller is supposed to be positioned in the "roostercomb". The attaching bolt is not supposed to ever come loose, so a little loctite may have been in order.

Also - there should be an attaching nut here, too (maybe we just can't see it because of the angle).

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
Lil Ape

Yes I do have that little nut of the outside. Just wasn't on in the pic. I didn't have any loctight on hand so I just tightened the crap out of it. Hopefully it won't come loose. If it did I'll have to use loctight next time. This trans had supposedly be rebuilt before I bought the truck. So maybe whoever rebuilt it just didn't tighten it enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
Lil Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
GRADYS Performance

Re: is it common for this trans linkage nut to get loose?

Most likely was not assembled properly at the rebuild. If lined up properly and tightened when assembled they do not come loose. Loctite could be used but probably not needed.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote