The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #26
53Sparky

Re: Salvage yard closing 80 to 100 cars for sale and parts

I picked up 2 better doors for my 62 C10, a deluxe 60-63 gauge cluster, a 3:73 posi 12 bolt, a high hump, reverse lights, driver and passenger round mirrors, a long fleet bedside, and a really good chrome GMC grill.

Numbers 6:24-26
53Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:00 AM   #27
wbc409

Nice parts you picked up. I am not surprised by the prices. There is a yard here in MN with 2 1967 2 Dr post chevelles. He wouldn't sell them separately. They were gutted shells and he wanted 4500 for the pair.
wbc409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:46 AM   #28
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

What I'm about to say is royal levels of f*cked up to some people, but everythings a hustle:

Most of the time when yards like that come up for sale, there is a reason. Usually, its either an aging owner, debt, or a clean-up notice from the city. If you have the business address you can find out if there is a city lein on the property. If there is, you can wait for default and swoop-in, white knight the taxes and take any and all property on the land. OR, if its a debt to a creditor or business, you can white-knight the debt in exchange for the back-fee's/taxes etc. Soooo if anyone really wanted to own the whole thing, you could probably do so for what he's asking for one truck.

Food for thought from this forums devils advocate.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #29
53Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
What I'm about to say is royal levels of f*cked up to some people, but everythings a hustle:

Most of the time when yards like that come up for sale, there is a reason. Usually, its either an aging owner, debt, or a clean-up notice from the city. If you have the business address you can find out if there is a city lein on the property. If there is, you can wait for default and swoop-in, white knight the taxes and take any and all property on the land. OR, if its a debt to a creditor or business, you can white-knight the debt in exchange for the back-fee's/taxes etc. Soooo if anyone really wanted to own the whole thing, you could probably do so for what he's asking for one truck.

Food for thought from this forums devils advocate.
You're probably right. I have a hunch that he is getting pressure from the city of Longmont to clean up his property. He's been there 40 years, and recent industrial development grown around him. I'm sure that he started with a property that was some distance out of town. Now he's surrounded on all sides by newer buildings on the south and some retail on the west side of the street. But even if you bought it cheap, you'd still need some pretty deep pockets to finance whatever it took to clean the property up until you could divest yourself of some of the cars.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #30
southern parts

Sounds like a good way to swoop right in and get your @$$ shot off. Some may call that business , but it sounds like stealing to me.
southern parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #31
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Sparky View Post
I picked up 2 better doors for my 62 C10, a deluxe 60-63 gauge cluster, a 3:73 posi 12 bolt, a high hump, reverse lights, driver and passenger round mirrors, a long fleet bedside, and a really good chrome GMC grill.

Nice! Sparky, how were the prices for parts?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #32
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern parts View Post
Sounds like a good way to swoop right in and get your @$$ shot off. Some may call that business , but it sounds like stealing to me.
If you can still tell the difference, you haven't been in business long.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #33
C10 - C90 Bill

I just found it Flagged and off line now, but am glad to see some of the pictures were saved.

I've got a question though. If no one pays those very high prices and the yard closes, then what happens to the trucks?

Maybe not in this case, but I've looked at junk for $500 and if I didn't want to pay it, the owner would "threaten" to scrap it. With the prices back down low again, not only would they have to haul it there, they would be lucky to get $150 for it...
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #34
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill View Post
I just found it Flagged and off line now, but am glad to see some of the pictures were saved.

I've got a question though. If no one pays those very high prices and the yard closes, then what happens to the trucks?

Maybe not in this case, but I've looked at junk for $500 and if I didn't want to pay it, the owner would "threaten" to scrap it. With the prices back down low again, not only would they have to haul it there, they would be lucky to get $150 for it...
They would not even get $150 for one truck. I kept the chassis and running gear from under a 85 Suburban. Took the truck to the scrapper and they lifted the body with all the interior, doors, glass, etc. off and it was 1860 pounds. Paying .96 of one penny per pound the reward was a grand total of $18.00. Yep eighteen bucks. Even with the chassis and drivetrain it would probably have been less than $70.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #35
C10 - C90 Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
They would not even get $150 for one truck. I kept the chassis and running gear from under a 85 Suburban. Took the truck to the scrapper and they lifted the body with all the interior, doors, glass, etc. off and it was 1860 pounds. Paying .96 of one penny per pound the reward was a grand total of $18.00. Yep eighteen bucks. Even with the chassis and drivetrain it would probably have been less than $70.
Last I heard, prices were about $4 per 100 Lbs here (equivalent to 4 Cents a pound), but they might have even dropped lower ??

I'm sure glad to see the market down. Not good if you're selling, but we lost a lot of cars and trucks when the market was way up. They were even "driving" cars and trucks onto the scales and just pulling the plates. Sure was crazy. I grabbed what cars and trucks I could, but lost many.

Bill
Old 04-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #36
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Depends on who the money is owed to, the bank or the city. If its the bank, they'll auction the contents to scrap dealers unless you can make them an offer before it goes to bid. If its the city, you can white-knight the taxes and take the land and everything on it (a hassle, but people legit make money doing stuff like that). Some municipalites require that seizures go to public auction or a closed envelope bid. In small towns, making friends with an alderman can get you into those early.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #37
53Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Nice! Sparky, how were the prices for parts?
I paid $750 for the entire list of stuff I bought. Not the best deal, but I've been around most of the junkyards in Colorado and hadn't had much luck getting cheaper prices. Most of the places around here have 1 or 2 trucks that are completely picked over.

2 better doors for my 62 C10, a deluxe 60-63 gauge cluster, a 3:73 posi 12 bolt, a high hump, reverse lights, driver and passenger round mirrors, a long fleet bedside, and a really good chrome GMC grill

Old 04-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #38
53Sparky

Quote:

It's clear to all of us that the value of the trucks on his site is greater than the simple scrap rate. But I don't think he's in touch with the real market value of most of the stuff he has. He wants retail price for a driver instead of salvage yard rates. He's been watching too much Fast N Loud.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #39
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Quote:
I paid $750 for the entire list of stuff I bought. Not the best deal, but I've been around most of the junkyards in Colorado and hadn't had much luck getting cheaper prices. Most of the places around here have 1 or 2 trucks that are completely picked over.

2 better doors for my 62 C10, a deluxe 60-63 gauge cluster, a 3:73 posi 12 bolt, a high hump, reverse lights, driver and passenger round mirrors, a long fleet bedside, and a really good chrome GMC grill
Quote:
It's clear to all of us that the value of the trucks on his site is greater than the simple scrap rate. But I don't think he's in touch with the real market value of most of the stuff he has. He wants retail price for a driver instead of salvage yard rates. He's been watching too much Fast N Loud.
I agree, if he really wanted to move the complete trucks they would be in the 500 to 1200 range, but as it shows he could make way more parting them out... that is probably the problem, my dad (we had a salvage yard) almost never sold a complete car, because we could make 10X the value in parts.

I think you did ok on your parts run. I added up what I probably would have paid for all that at my local yard and got $675-not far off
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #40
C10 - C90 Bill

Quote:
Yeah, my point was just an example of principle and not actual dollar value, lol.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:57 PM   #41
lee64

Yeah, 53 Sparky, Dave is pretty hard to deal with. Its taken me 7 years to get to the point of being able to come and go in the yard as I like. Done some trading with him and have been rewarded 10 times over. he really loves the old stuff and doesn't deal with anyone he thinks is just out to make a buck rather than restore and appreciate. Got a great cab from him for 500. Been looking at it for 8 yrs. Finally got it. Was stripped to bare metal about 10 yrs ago, primed and left to sit. Some pin holes and that's it! At the blasters now. I can come and go as I please. I live here also. Ill get pics for everyone. There IS a treasure trove here. Just gotta approach it right.
lee64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #42
53Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee64 View Post
Yeah, 53 Sparky, Dave is pretty hard to deal with. Its taken me 7 years to get to the point of being able to come and go in the yard as I like. Done some trading with him and have been rewarded 10 times over. he really loves the old stuff and doesn't deal with anyone he thinks is just out to make a buck rather than restore and appreciate. Got a great cab from him for 500. Been looking at it for 8 yrs. Finally got it. Was stripped to bare metal about 10 yrs ago, primed and left to sit. Some pin holes and that's it! At the blasters now. I can come and go as I please. I live here also. Ill get pics for everyone. There IS a treasure trove here. Just gotta approach it right.
I'll be going back Tuesday. PM me for my phone number - I'd love to meet you there if you're available.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:03 AM   #43
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
If you can still tell the difference, you haven't been in business long.
Or been around long enough to know what scruples are.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #44
Danny#2

Quote:

I feel you got a good deal on the parts! You would have had to pay that or more around here.
Danny#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #45
53Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny#2 View Post
I feel you got a good deal on the parts! You would have had to pay that or more around here.
I don't feel bad about the deal. It was worth the $750 to me. I wonder sometimes about whether people intentionally exaggerate the deal they got when talking about it in public.

Some guy gets a pile of junk at a swap meet for $75 but says:
"DUDE. I totally got this awesome deal - I got a numbers matching steering wheel cover for $40. The guy was asking $100 and I totally talked him down!!"

Anyway, I'm on my way back today to pick up the 12 bolt axle I bought last time and to get more pics. I'm planning to meet lee64 there too. Maybe he can show me around and get me into Dave's good graces.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #46
Danny#2

Quote:
I don't feel bad about the deal. It was worth the $750 to me. I wonder sometimes about whether people intentionally exaggerate the deal they got when talking about it in public.

Some guy gets a pile of junk at a swap meet for $75 but says:
"DUDE. I totally got this awesome deal - I got a numbers matching steering wheel cover for $40. The guy was asking $100 and I totally talked him down!!"

Anyway, I'm on my way back today to pick up the 12 bolt axle I bought last time and to get more pics. I'm planning to meet lee64 there too. Maybe he can show me around and get me into Dave's good graces.

Good luck on your return trip.
Posted via Mobile Device
Danny#2 is offline   Reply With Quote