The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
IntegratedTJ

New Build.. Cooling Problem?

Got a 1972 Chevy C10 - So I just rebuilt my motor after it warped the heads due to lack of cooling (Thermostat pooped out and I didn't have a temp gauge) and I am running a JEGS Mechanical Water Temp Gauge, the sending unit part is installed in the top of the intake manifold on the passenger side. I am new to mechanical gauges AND engine building, however it runs great and.. am I just paranoid? The gauge randomly spikes up to 200-230 but then immediately goes back down to 185-195. I was just wondering if this is something to worry about or am I just paranoid? My theory was that maybe it was the hot coolant circulating out of the engine on that passenger side and the cooler coolant circulating in behind it? Thanks in advance!
IntegratedTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
IntegratedTJ

Re: New Build.. Cooling Problem?

Anyone? Really gotta get this solved asap..
Old 04-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

Most therms. will go higher on the initial opening & then drop back. If it doesn't heat up any other time. You are OK. A lot of new therms. we get now are defective. Make sure you have 50-50 mixture of a-freeze & a good pressure cap & you will be OK.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
IntegratedTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Most therms. will go higher on the initial opening & then drop back. If it doesn't heat up any other time. You are OK. A lot of new therms. we get now are defective. Make sure you have 50-50 mixture of a-freeze & a good pressure cap & you will be OK.
Thanks for the reply! Looking around.. I see a lot of people saying to bleed the cooling system. I haven't bled the cooling system. Would that cause this problem?
Old 04-26-2015, 10:55 PM   #5
Acorn

You can never be to paranoid about the cooling system on a rebuilt engine. I collapsed my rings once because I was to broke to buy a gauge.
It sounds like you just have an air pocket in the cooling system. The air/steam will be much hotter than the coolant and could cause the gauge to spike momentarily as it circulates past the sending unit. Just a thought.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:01 PM   #6
IntegratedTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
You can never be to paranoid about the cooling system on a rebuilt engine. I collapsed my rings once because I was to broke to buy a gauge.
It sounds like you just have an air pocket in the cooling system. The air/steam will be much hotter than the coolant and could cause the gauge to spike momentarily as it circulates past the sending unit. Just a thought.
I thought the same thing right when I saw the bleeding the coolant system deal. I didn't even know that was a thing. New to the whole building and working on cars thing.. Thanks for the input. Going to bleed the system first thing in the morning and get her nice and hot and see if that does the trick. Will post back with results in case anyone has a similar problem.

EDIT: That'd explain the steam coming from the radiator when I cut off the engine, too.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:31 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

When I flush the system, I remove the thermostat and bolt the thermostat housing back on. Run water to radiator with the upper radiator hose disconnected from thermostat housing. Then run the engine for a bit (approx. 5 minutes) while the heater is running. You might try it. Get a new thermostat while you're at it.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #8
cdowns

i'd have the sender unit in the heads not in the intake for a more accurate reading
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
67 cst swb

/\ agreed
The head is the best location for accurate temp reading as its always submerged in coolant.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #10
IntegratedTJ

For bleeding the cooling system, won't I HAVE to remove the thermostat? It is bled by going through cooling cycles, right? So if I have my thermostat in (192*F Spec/OE) won't it not open, thus not bleeding the system?

Edit: Mind you, this is a new build so I don't really wanna keep the RPM's at, say, 2500, for as long as it'd take to bleed the cooling system

Last edited by IntegratedTJ; 04-27-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #11
cdowns

bleeding a cooling system is way overrated basically a waste of time and effort
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #12
engineer_gregh

Hand held thermal guns are a great help as you can aim it at different parts of the radiator and engine as an aid in troubleshooting. I stick to 180 degree thermostats and use 50/50 premixed antifreeze. I had lots of overheating problems when the 402 was rebuilt, ended up going with aluminum radiator and electric fans before it was resolved. Good luck and please post what you find.
1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote