The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #1
A1971Blazer

drive line angle

Looking to be about 7º to 8º angle with the PacFab mount......bottom of the oil pan is level.....
............is this angle gonna work?.......

with the 241, the rear driveshaft will be short too.......I can re-position the perches for correct pinion angle
whenever I re-gear the 12 volt (sic) rear axle. (I actually saw that on a CL ad "12 volt rear axle for sale"......)
Name:  angle1.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  58.2 KB

Waiting for poly body mount kit......and obviously some sheet metal......
Name:  angle2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  47.6 KB

seems like the motor is a bit high?.....but TBSS manifold fits perfectly!.......I'm sure there's gonna be some tight fits/clearances...!
Name:  angle3.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  56.6 KB
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: drive line angle

7 or 8 down is a little more than usual. Most LS motors mount at 2-4* for oil scavenging and steam line function. So when you wanna set the rear pinion angle parallel, this means you'd only need 2-4* of cant. If you put the engine at a high angle down, and try to run the pinion parallel (so 8*), you'll be exceeding the working range of the u joints, which is only about 5-6* usually. (high pinion 4x4 guys ignore this, we buy special stuff for you).

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
A1971Blazer

Re: drive line angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
7 or 8 down is a little more than usual. Most LS motors mount at 2-4* for oil scavenging and steam line function. So when you wanna set the rear pinion angle parallel, this means you'd only need 2-4* of cant. If you put the engine at a high angle down, and try to run the pinion parallel (so 8*), you'll be exceeding the working range of the u joints, which is only about 5-6* usually. (high pinion 4x4 guys ignore this, we buy special stuff for you).
That's what I was thinking, it seems to be too steep. As nice as the PacFab mount is, I had to tweak it some to get the long bolts to go in without being in a bind......
I was trying to get an idea of where the motor need to sit to have enough clearance at the firewall.
Once I get the lift kit installed and the body mounts in, I'll have a better feel for it......
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote