The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
poov71

Advice on rear leaf support bracket removal

Please pardon me if my terminology is incorrect..The question is: Is the support bracket that rivets to frame and bolts to rear leaf hanger necessary? This bracket i directly in the way of mounting a receiver hitch. Im not necessarily wanting to cut a space in the hitch to allow for the bracket so im wanting to know if I can go without these brackets. The truck has an 8 leaf pack if that matters. No heavy towing will be done with the truck just a mower and other odds and ends. Thank you for your help
poov71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
greg64

Re: Advice on rear leaf support bracket removal

Can you post a picture? I'm not sure which bracket you're referring to.
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
ray_mcavoy

If you're talking about the brackets that are shown as #27 in this LMC catalog illustration, I've seen some receiver hitches that already have notches to clear them. So I think notching the hitch would be a better alternative than removing the brackets.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
poov71

Hey Ray..thanks for the research brother..# 27 doesnt look like the same brace but close, and is potentially for the same purpose. The catalog says its for a 4wd but thats likely to be irrelevant..What is this brace's purpose? Is this only for trucks with a "heavy duty" suspension or are all squarebodies running these? Im not having any luck finding one that will work with my truck..If Anyone could suggest one I'd greatly appreciate it..Ill try to upload some pics tomorrow..Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:05 PM   #5
poov71

Name:  pic1.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  24.6 KB
Old 04-29-2015, 11:06 PM   #6
poov71

Pictures kinda fuzzy..That the driver's side..
Old 04-29-2015, 11:10 PM   #7
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poov71 View Post
Hey Ray..thanks for the research brother..# 27 doesnt look like the same brace but close, and is potentially for the same purpose.
You're welcome! Yeah, their illustration doesn't look exactly like the actual brackets but the pic you just posted confirms that we're both talking about the same part.

Quote:
The catalog says its for a 4wd but thats likely to be irrelevant..What is this brace's purpose? Is this only for trucks with a "heavy duty" suspension or are all squarebodies running these?
I believe they were used on most all of the squarebody trucks except maybe for C10 models with regular / "light duty" suspension. They basically just give some added support to the rear spring hangers to keep the lower portion from wanting to bend outward away from the frame.

Quote:
Im not having any luck finding one that will work with my truck..If Anyone could suggest one I'd greatly appreciate it..Ill try to upload some pics tomorrow..Thanks again.
A lot of the newer GM trucks have similar brackets on the rear spring hangers and I've seen hitches for those with pre-cut clearance notches. I haven't looked lately to see what's available for squarebody hitches though.

EDIT: I just did a quick search and found some hitches here --> http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-1987_G...ies+Pickup.htm Several of the examples pictured (like the first two) look as though they'd provide clearance for those brackets.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #8
poov71

That makes since about the support against bending out at the bottom..So if no significant weight was being hauled this would most likely not be something that would occur..What do you think? The hitches you attached where for long beds..Im not sure what one of those would measure at the total mounting surface but if I remember correctly, theres only about 13 inches of frame length before it begins to curve upward towards the rearend.. Youve gone out of your way to help ray thanks again..let me know what you think about taking these braces off.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:49 AM   #9
Titomars

I made my hitch for my step side. Actually a heavily reworked 1994 Cherokee class 3 hitch. I notched for those supports and used two 1/2 inch mounting bolts behind and two 1/2 inch mounting bolts in front of the notch out. If any one is interested I can post up some photos tomorrow
Old 04-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #10
J Knight

Going buy the position of the leaf spring shackle hanger it looks like you have the 56in leaf spring which would come on the BIG10 package which is equated to a 5/8 ton from what I have read on this site. With that said, neither of my 1/2 ton trucks(1978/1982) with 52in leaf springs have this support bracket. IMHO I dont see you having a problem removing it if you aren't doing any substantial hauling with the truck.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #11
poov71

Thanks John. Most likely going to take it off today unless somebody can advise me otherwise.. Any further input out there would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #12
nonstop

I recently went through something similar to this when trying to replace my shackle flip kit. While at the junkyard, I saw about three different set ups in the rear of trucks like ours. One set up used six bolts to hold the hanger on, the next set up used four bolts to hold the hanger on, and neither of those set ups used the reinforcement bracket like yours has. The third set up was what you have. With that said, GM was notorious for not spending money where they didn't have to.The way I see it, if GM felt that bracket was not needed, they certainly would not have put it on so they could save a few cents.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #13
poov71

Interesting nonstop..Well the bracket is off and the hitch is on.. Im banking on the assumption the "need" for brace is to support flexing at the hanger bottom under heavy loads..I hope this is correct