The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2014, 04:14 AM   #1
thejackmfk

1966 c20 build PBR build

still new to this forum ive watched for a long time and have got lots of tips just going through all the threads finally decided its time to post my truck. i bought it about a month ago. this is not my first c20 but so far i do think this one is my favorite.

I got really lucky with this truck the previous owner had done a lot to bring this truck into driving conditon. it was originally a wyoming truck and i know at one point there was quite a bit of rust. there have been a few repairs, and a few more that still need to be done. one of the major selling points for me was that the bed wood had already been removed. last winter i replaced the wood on my 69 and spent the better part of a week grinding and cutting every bolt out.

I didn't really have a theme for this truck but when i bought the truck the heater controls had been removed and replaced from a bottle opener, so naturally i had to replace the shifter with a tap handle and after going through all of the ones i have i decided on PBR. It just fits so perfect!! As you can see from the pictures it did have the original steering wheel i replaced it with a smaller one for now. I know most people wont like it but im 6'6" its dificult to be comfortable with the original. i plan on lowering the seat and hopefully once that is done i can re install the original. the dash was already cut for a modern radio so i didnt feel so bad putting one in. and the kick panel speakers work great.

the engine is the original 283 and the trans was upgraded to automatic im pretty sure its a turbo350. when i got the truck it had a new aluminum radiator and broken fan so ive instaled a brand new electric fan with thermostatic control. and it all works pretty good. so far ive gotten a lot of parts from the orange ca truck and car shop. www.truckandcarshop.com most of their stuff works out great at reasonable prices and if it doesnt fit im close enough to take it back.

ive started staining the bed wood and cant wait to finish varnish to put it back on. so far i love the truck .
Attached Images

thejackmfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:24 AM   #2
thejackmfk

Re: 1966 c20 build PBR build

more pics
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

My neck is broken from trying to look at the pictures.. But who cares! Welcome aboard. And I like the truck.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
thejackmfk

lol sorry about that, not sure exactly what happened there. on the original post they were the correct orientation when uploaded then they rotated. i tried to fix this in the second post by rotating them the other direction to correct the issue. unfortunately it ended up the way it is.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
dwcardfan

Welcome!!! Nice truck and good luck on the build. The bed wood looks good.
dwcardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:49 AM   #6
thejackmfk

i know its been a while since i had an update on here, The bar i worked at closed (I did get to keep a few souvenirs) and i have run into a few road blocks but i have got a little bit of progress. i finally put the bed wood in, I installed new carpet in the cab, installed a new amp and capacitor, and rebuilt the carb.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2014, 02:54 AM   #7
thejackmfk

new carpet, door sills, and weatherstripping. amp and capacitor are installed on a mount that can slide out from under the seat. i did make aa small box that holds 1 10" speaker under the driver seat its just impossible to take a picture of at night.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2014, 03:03 AM   #8
thejackmfk

hit a small problem when i removed the carburetor to rebuild it, while removing the bolts on the carb. i got all but one off and i couldn't figure out why the last one just kept turning. i tried shifting position to see if i could get a better look at it and felt that it was loose. i immediately thought that i had broken the stud. i discovered someone broke it long before i did, they placed a bolt through the carb from the bottom and a nut on top to fool anyone who looked at it. So now i have an intake with a big hole where the carb stud should be and a freshly rebuilt carb. i decided that im just going to do what i wanted in the first place and replace it with a 600 cfm carb. i found a stock sbc 4 bbl intake for $30. as soon as i find a carb for a decent price i will be rolling again.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2014, 03:10 AM   #9
thejackmfk

i got to keep a few taphandles so now i can choose whatever shifter i want for that day. Happy Holidays!
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2015, 06:06 AM   #10
thejackmfk

mounted the new carb and i figured since i have to replace the air cleaner i might s well replace the valve covers as well.still have to make a few adjustments but im done for the night.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #11
thejackmfk

sorry its been a while since I updated this post. I sent my truck to maaco and never regretted a decision more in my life. after agreeing to pay $1800 for all of the body work and paint i left my truck there and expected good news in 2 weeks. after 2 weeks i call and am told that i now need to pay an additional $400 for unseen body issues. after talking to the owner i explained that im not paying more money for body work and this should have been in the estimate. he agreed to eat the cost if i upgraded the paint in some way. i agreed that was fair and changed from black to 2 tone metallic blue and white $200. (no i am not a dodger fan) 3 weeks later i am told it is ready for delivery. here is where everything goes bad.

while im inspecting the vehicle they tell me the battery is dead and hook up a jump starter. im inspecting the driver door, so they ask if i can turn the key. i do and it starts right away. and then it starts drive backwards and almost run me over. i trip and almost get ran over but manage to jump in and slam on the brakes. (my truck is an automatic btw) the first and only response i hear is "your lucky there is no car parked behind you." im pissed at this point and just want to get away from these idiots.

i begin to look around and look under the hood where i installed some new parts. everything looked faded and old, when asked they said they arent allowed to wash cars there so they cant clean it but it should all just come off with a hose when i get home. i then look at my exhaust they had painted over those as well. he sends the truck back several times for someone to wipe them down with solvent and tells me they are all good. i see a few dings but just want to leave so i sign their paperwork and head home.

once i get home i discovered that nothing in the engine bay can be cleaned easily. and then i discover they already tried to clean it with solvents. the edelbrock lettering has began to wash off. then i look at my interior the seat has primer on it. i walk around and sure enough i start looking at the bed where they had something laying in my bed while i was there. over spray and scratches. after that i start really looking at the body and every single panel has a minimum of 5 dents, dings, waves etc. i crouch down and lok at the tailgate and i realize the paint is already chipping. this is the same in several other places as well.this is the last straw. on the way back to maaco i realized that my shifter will not lock into any position any longer it now just slides in and out of park reverse drive with no resistance.

at first the manager tells me that they are not liable and that they didn't damage anything. after talking with him for a while i start noticing that i actually have new dents in the vehicle that happened while it was there. the manager would not do anything. so after a few minutes the owner comes out and i tell him i am still upset about what happened this morning being almost ran over by my own vehicle and then his employee being more concerned about an imaginary car then a human life. i explain to him why i am upset and that a majority of this could have been fixed before i initially picked up the truck. after arguing for an hour he denies any wrong doing and only agrees to do the touch up paint, and to only brush it on but not to sand the area down and spray like should happen.

after i get home i decide to call maaco corporate office to hopefully have them fix these issues. after i let them know whats going on i get a phone call from the owner. his words "i thought you were going to be a big boy about this?" (mind you im not a small man im 6'6" and 300lbs) he then accuses me of not keeping my word and then threatens my truck and refuses to do any work. i let him know that i will be back in the morning to pick it up. i called corporate to let them know what has happened. and picked up the truck yesterday.

the manager told me they had done the touch up paint and tried to clean the paint off the bed using solvents. (i told them specifically not to do this) then hands me a letter stating they arent liable.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #12
thejackmfk

after driving it home the same day i hit dip and heard a clunk then my truck leaned to the right. i made it home with no incident, lifted it off the ground and found my coil spring had broken. it looks like one of the previous owners welded it. im not sure if the cut too much off and tried to weld it back or what happened. due to the rust i highly doubt that maaco did this and am not accusing them. just happened to have happened the same day.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2015, 02:36 AM   #13
thejackmfk

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111664246649...84.m1555.l2649