The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
truckster

Harbor Freight Cutoff Wheels

I bought some HF 4 1/2 inch cutoff wheels - 10 for 5.99. It seemed like a good deal, but comparing them to the DeWalt cutoff wheels I usually buy, the DeWalts last about 4 times as long and cut better. I'm not bashing HF, but I don't particularly like changing cutoff wheels in the middle of a job - in this case, on top of an 8 foot ladder.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
RUN GMC

Re: Harbor Freight Cutoff Wheels

I hear you but in this choice safety is important a better grade is safer you dont one that will grenade or shatter from use at those speed the shrapnel could cause a nasty accident you cant recover from Im cheap on a lot of things but that isnt one of them........

https://www.google.com/search?q=cutt...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
cableguy0

DO NOT EVER USE CHEAP CUT OFF WHEELS. The cheap wheels will explode or birds mouth flipping the grinder out of your hands. If your lucky it flips away from you if your not lucky you get to see the bone in your hand. I have seen them come apart. I had one come apart and show me what my knuckle looks like under the skin. Buy a quality brand.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
CHIZZLER
SAVING ONE TRUCK AT A TIME

Im done buying cheap tools from HF. I would rather buy a used good tool then a new POS new tool.
61-crew cab D-max

"PAY LESS FOR WHAT YOU NEED PAY MORE FOR WHAT YOU WANT"

53 BURBAN BARN FIND:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404091

1940 PROJECT MOON SHINE:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551088

1961 CREW MAX: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6957999
CHIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #5
franken

I'd be interested in hearing of a source of good, thin wheels as well as the opposite.
For cutoff, I use air or an electric die grinder. The electric is 20k RPM and all the torque you can imagine. Way scarier than the 30k RPM little torque of an air tool. 4.5" angle grinders usually have thick wheels and make far more heat.
So, where are the 3-4" quality thin wheels?
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #6
RUN GMC

I dont have a problem with HF tools I buy them and use them but when it comes to stuff you now that has a propensity for common result when used or used up (consumables) its not worth it in the end......cutting disc, grinding disc, and diamond blades should bought in A grade quality.......I know I bought some cheap cutoff wheel blades from a flea market while building my 86 Regal in 2008......a wheel disintegrated on me all I had on in safety was safety glasses...a shard from the wheel gashed across the top of my thigh I still have a scar that itches me now and then from that incident......just use common sense on some the tools you use......
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
_Ogre

harbor fright cut off wheels have their uses; such as shimming up a wobbly table leg
i use 6'' sait cut off wheels, they last 10x longer than hf cut off wheels
i do keep hf cut off wheels around to use in places i know might catch and break a good cut off wheel

@franken: i've tried a cut off wheel in a die grinder... just never liked the control with a straight shaft vs the angle grinder
though they do have their uses in tight corners
and they wear out quick

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
Cape Codder

You get what you pay for, I have good luck with the Norton and the 3M. That is what is available local. Not counting H.F. I do use H.F. buff pads and some of their grinding discs.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #9
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Metabo 'super slicers' are my favorite, Norton a close 2nd. Sait are good also. HF are junk. Make an insane amount of dust and come apart easily (know this from experience). Any industrial supply house or bolt/screw supplier usually carries quality brands that you won't find at the hardware store.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
chip46wis

I use dewalt cutoff wheels on this subject DO NOT USE A HF CUTOFF tool----they spin way too fast and ANY cutoff wheel will explode---I have the scars to prove it--- 3 times.My local group of hot rodders have experienced the same thing---mine was smashed and trashed.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #11
chip46wis

I use dewalt cutoff wheels on this subject DO NOT USE A HF CUTOFF tool----they spin way too fast and ANY cutoff wheel will explode---I have the scars to prove it--- 3 times.My local group of hot rodders have experienced the same thing---mine was smashed and trashed.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Didn't this image come off this very forum???

Please don't use cheap cut-off disks. It's just not worth the risk

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #13
_Ogre

any tool used improperly can be dangerous

Old 05-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #14
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I'm one to talk but always wear a full faceshield when using any kind of high speed cutting or grinding equipment..I've had to pull a lot of stuff out of me over the years before I wised up.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:08 AM   #15
truckster

That's a pretty wild picture.

I don't ever use my grinder without 1. A full face shield, 2. Hearing protection, 3. Leather gloves, and 4. Heavy long-sleeved shirt.

I've learned from experience how painful a piece of metal in the eye can be.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:43 PM   #16
swamp rat

Every H/F cutting wheel or grinding wheel i ever bought has been a POS, they start out ok but they stop cutting pretty quickly and generate a lot of heat, they are ether loading up or the abrasiveness is mostly on the surface and wears off quickly. I will preferably go to my local welder supply company and buy the cuttoff wheels and grinding disks they carry, maybe a little more expensive than something from the hardware store but i know its good quality stuff.

EDIT, I do have a small H/F cuttoff tool and a 7" right angle grinder, both are used occasionaly which is how i learned about their disks and cuttoff wheels, no problems with the tools themselves for what they were intended.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:51 AM   #17
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

For a frame of reference, not EVERY disc they make is junk...but the cutoff wheels are. I've used them, I have a few, and occasionally they get used in a pinch...but its not idea. The grinding discs, flap discs and other sanding media from them have always been fine. ALL wire wheels are evil, so you might as well get cheap ones (its not like the "good" ones don't huck wires, they all do).

I do have to second the notion that all tools can be dangers and/or break easily if you use them improperly. I have noticed that most breakages of HF discs happen for a few reasons.
  • They were used previously and already worn in a manner unfitting for the next use (suuuper common people using chipped discs or reinforced ones which are fraying aleady).
  • They were cutting a material that wasn't designed for that disc, or doing so in a manner making the tools and medias job harder.
  • Gouging/stabbing/chopping with the cuttoff wheel or applying WAY too much force. Usually when jamming the edge in to get at a bolt head etc...this tool cuts with friction/abrasion, not with impact.
  • Not using a guard, and applying wonky off-axis force. Why do these two fit together? Using a guard is a good idea in general if its an option, but it also helps to prevent you from trying to flex the disc. I've seen plenty of times when someone is cutting a relief in sheetmetal or making a bracket, and tries to turn the cutoff wheel while in the material much like you would a scroll saw. While a certain amount of flexion can be tolerated, when doing so with the disc in the material, you effectively bind the wheel AND try to twist it...which causes breakage. Guys will have an unguarded thin cutoff wheel, trying to cut a hardened bolt...then come in at a 30* angle and try to flex the disc to it cuts the bolt off flat....the disc flexes, then cracks from stress or develops a vibration and flies apart.
  • AND the big one....overtightening the crap out of the disc onto the spindle. This is why companies started putting the crush discs on that part of the wheel, and a handful make the threaded or positive-engagement discs. With HF discs, guys crank them on so tight sometimes they are cracked or off balance before they even get started.

/rant.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #18
Cape Codder

I would add that dropping a tool with a cutoff wheel or stepping on a tool with a cutoff wheel will easily crack the disc. It may not show till it is spinning and it is to late. Always put them down on a bench away from the edge. Never on the floor.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:31 PM   #19
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
any tool used improperly can be dangerous
maybe i should add... any tool in an idiots hands can be dangerous

i don't know what you guys do that breaks disks, but...
i've been using these things since they came out
i've dropped them and broken disk or taken a chunk out
i've pinched them and stalled the grinder
i've cut every finger and thumb with them, sometimes 2 at a time
i've never used a full face shield, safety glasses yes, but mostly costco readers

i've also never had one fly apart in use and...
i've used hundreds of them
youse guy are working wrong, respect the tool

Old 05-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #20
truckster

Quote:
maybe i should add... any tool in an idiots hands can be dangerous

i don't know what you guys do that breaks disks, but...
i've been using these things since they came out
i've dropped them and broken disk or taken a chunk out
i've pinched them and stalled the grinder
i've cut every finger and thumb with them, sometimes 2 at a time
i've never used a full face shield, safety glasses yes, but mostly costco readers

i've also never had one fly apart in use and...
i've used hundreds of them
youse guy are working wrong, respect the tool
If you read the original post, the criticism I had of HF cutoff wheels is that they just don't last like others. I've never had one fly apart either.

And just because someone doesn't use safety equipment and hasn't paid a price for it doesn't mean that's a good idea.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #21
_Ogre

nothing aimed at the original post, just all ''the sky is falling'' posts where every harbor fright wheel explodes

Old 05-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #22
Cape Codder

I agree I have never had one explore either. I posted about dropping them as when they get a crack in them is when they will come apart. The cheap ones really don't save money as when you are cutting you can see them get smaller they wear so fast.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:32 AM   #23
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
nothing aimed at the original post, just all ''the sky is falling'' posts where every harbor fright wheel explodes
HF cutoff wheel on HF grinder, yesterday while trimming a sheetmetal flange. Part was secure, using a guard, straight-on approach to cut. About 2" into my cut, the wheel let loose into 4 pieces. They didn't go far, or hurt anyone...but I think your almost suffering from the opposite bias.

Just because something happened to someone doesn't mean it'll happen to everyone....yet just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it can't.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote