The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
russellrox

American autowire kit, rewire now or wait

I have a 66 c20 longbox fleet that I am going to be shortening to a shortbox and converting to a half ton suspension with 79 chev front k member and steering. I am fixing some wiring issues at the moment that the previous owner had, a wire shorted out that goes from the starter to the firewall and back across inside the cab to the guage pod, then branches off to the firewall and back to the voltage regulator. The burnt wire melted a few of the wires inside the harness so I have the dash apart and repairing the issues. Should I rewire the truck with my new harness kit now and be done, or wait until I paint the truck, I am planning on painting the truck within the year, I don't plan on sandblasting the interior or the truck, just the outside but the cab will be coming off. Opinions on what I should do.
russellrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
1963c-10

Re: American autowire kit, rewire now or wait

Personally I'd go ahead and wire it. Especially if you plan to drive it another year. The harness is easy enough to disconnect if you take the entire front end off. Same with harness to the rear end. For the most part its just a handful of plugs and the main harness which is all underdash.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Pappyx3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellrox View Post
I have a 66 c20 longbox fleet that I am going to be shortening to a shortbox and converting to a half ton suspension with 79 chev front k member and steering. I am fixing some wiring issues at the moment that the previous owner had, a wire shorted out that goes from the starter to the firewall and back across inside the cab to the guage pod, then branches off to the firewall and back to the voltage regulator. The burnt wire melted a few of the wires inside the harness so I have the dash apart and repairing the issues. Should I rewire the truck with my new harness kit now and be done, or wait until I paint the truck, I am planning on painting the truck within the year, I don't plan on sandblasting the interior or the truck, just the outside but the cab will be coming off. Opinions on what I should do.
Personally, I would make the repair, and re wire after doing all the work you have mentioned.

Good Luck!

Pappyx4!

John 3:16
Pappyx3! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
wilbur46

Personally, I don't like wiring kits.
They are mostly made for parts I'm not using. I just fix what I've got.
Of course there are mega buck kits that contain every single item you need, but the usual run of the mill kits with 22 fuses (or whatever) are a pain.
The terminal ends never match the components I'm using. If I'm not using AC, power windows, power/heated seats, an electric fan or a tilt column what am I gonna do with all the extras? Just removing this stuff from the fuse panel is a PITA.
3 questions--
(1) Will it run now, or in the immediate future. Maybe a real good, project specific kit installed by someone who has done 40 of them.
(2) It will be apart for the next 6 months and its not painted. No!
(3) You want to drive it around the block to see how everything works. 3 wires and an ignition switch are all you need.
I've got a friend and it is all he does (for his car hobby). He makes it look easy but his entire shop looks like a wiring factory.
Good luck, W
wilbur46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #5
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Opinions on what I should do.
I am in the middle of installing the AAW Classic Update Kit in my 1965 C10. See my BLOG. The kit has everything and for the stuff I don't need now, I simply removed the wires from the harness and quick disconnects. Once I add stuff (like an electric fan for instance) then I'll just re-insert the wire into the appropriate harness connection.

Like you, I plan to tear it down again for paint. Therefore my initial installation will not have all the finer touches. I agree with 1963C-10 that the disassembly process will be fairly easy once it comes time to paint. The thought of clanging all of my wire cutters, crimpers and wiring tools on a newly painted truck made me decide to wire it NOW to simplify the rebuild after paint.

Just my opinion. I certainly don't think it would be wrong to do the wiring after paint. Just have to be more careful.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #6
RickB_1966

I am wiring mine before the paint job so I can make any needed holes for wiring my accessories and such. I have the Classic Update kit - it seems to be worth the cost in my opinion.
RickB_1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
MikeS.

I used AAW kit before.
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
spacedebris

I would rewire now, if your gonna drive it. My brother made this mistake. He had a 67 Pontiac wagon that he dearly loved. We had it running and driving. Even had the replacement harness. Just waiting to save the money for a paint job. I swear that someone had it in for him because the day he had the money and was on his way to the paint shop to get the work done with me following. We made it to the corner (about 1/4 mile) when smoke started pouring out of the hood. Burnt to the ground. Wire short was to blame.

Needless to say, we no longer even hesitate when it comes to wiring. No half-assed attempts at repairs or jury rigs.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #9
six two swb

Quote:
has anyone ever done the under hood fuse box for the turn signals an the rest of the lighting system useing 2000 under hood factory fuse from a 2000 chevrolet ls pu would i have to the tac mod ?
six two swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #10
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by six two swb View Post
has anyone ever done the under hood fuse box for the turn signals an the rest of the lighting system useing 2000 under hood factory fuse from a 2000 chevrolet ls pu would i have to the tac mod ?
Six two swb,
Since your question is not related to the original thread topic, I suggest you start a NEW thread and re-post your questions. I also highly recommend using punctuation.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.

Last edited by Lugnutz65; 06-28-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote