The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
ACII

Which transmission does fit to a LS1 ??

Hy all

after my succesful LS1 swap into my chevy pickup...i do focus on the next project.

In this setup i do have the problem that i cannot use the typical combo ls1+4l60e

The car does have the engine placed in the middle ...that means the engine sits directly infront of the rear axle.

Are there any transmission available which have driveshafts on the left / right sight..and fit a LS1 ??

I guess u know what i mean , sorry for the poor english :-)

Thanks again

Achim
ACII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Which transmission does fit to a LS1 ??

Hey Achim, I see your already on the next swap! You had some setbacks on the first, but it looks like things came together nicely for you.

Could you tell me more about the car its going into? Depending how much room you have, there are a couple options, but most aren't easy.

People have used modified versions of the corvette transaxle, with a VERY short torque tube. This allows for a normal longitudinal engine position, but requires a way to shift/control the corvette transaxle.

Another option is to go with a later-model Porsche gearbox/transaxle. This might be easier for you to find in Deutschland, but involves the high cost of both the transmission, and the $600+ adapter to fit it. LS motors have been put into 911's and a few other Porsche's, so I highly suggest checking out the Porsche swaps on LS1tech for more info on how they combined those parts.

There is also an offbreed motor called the LS4, that was used in large front wheel drive cars in a few places. Its actually a horizontally opposed engine that sits on the trans like a normal FWD car would, but is "technically" an LS motor and makes good power. Something like that could be used in a very short chassis.

Most mid-engine cars I know (sans exotics or the Pantera), used horizontally opposed engines to shorted the overall length of the drivetrain. As far as I know, there is no transmission that sits "under" a longitudinally mounted engine, but still works as a transaxle.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #3
clinebarger

'97-'05 C5 Corvette 4L60E/4L65E with Transaxle.

Swap the Input Drum, Front Pump, Bellhousing, & Torque converter for a '98-'06 300mm..........Truck(LS)/F-body(V8)/GTO/SSR/Trailblazer(V8). Holden versions may be easier to find in Germany?
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
ACII

Hy all.....

thanks for ur helpful answers....:-)

Amazing i read a lot of stuff about the LS1 , but never saw any websites about a Porsche Swap

Thats exactly what i am looking for !!!!!

But first of all back to my first LS1 swap into my 51 pickup...

The engine runs so far pretty good....i just have to improve the fan and radiator setup.....
The next step is to buy a tuner software and get into it :-)

Paralel i do have a opel vx220 project....
originally the car does have a 4 cylinder engine.
Finally i want to transfer the car into a 10sec car ;-) at least thats the attempt....

Here in Germany there are a lot of options to tune the 4 cyl. engine with some big turbo......power up to around 500 - 600 hp is possible.

Generally it is still a small engine and quite costly !!

IMO the ls1 swap would be the better choice.....a lot stronger and to get it up to 700 - 800 hp a lot cheaper (compared to 4 cyl. eng)!!!

The Porsche transmission looks pretty awesome, but u are right the trans is also here in Germany very expensive.

Are there any other transmission available with the same form / dimension ?

@clinebarger
Sorry i was not able to understand ur advice....pls can u specify it ??

Thanks again
CU Achim
Old 07-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
ACII

Hy Clinebarger

i just checked ur answer again..so i think i got it.

But the original transaxle of a corvette is by far too long...

The engine is sitting directly infront of the rearaxle so the driveshafts of the transmission must be located directly behind the bell housing ..like the porsche g50

Thanks
Achim
Old 07-23-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Here are a couple of people who did 911 and 996 swaps using.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...-w-ls6-v8.html
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...onversion.html

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #7
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACII View Post
Hy Clinebarger

i just checked ur answer again..so i think i got it.

But the original transaxle of a corvette is by far too long...

The engine is sitting directly infront of the rearaxle so the driveshafts of the transmission must be located directly behind the bell housing ..like the porsche g50

Thanks
Achim
Got it!

Do you want a Manual Gearbox or an Automatic Transmission?

The Porsche G50 would probably be your best bet to keep the engine "Mid-Mounted" But, It has to be flipped upside down, Because the Porsche engine is behind the Transaxle, And you want the engine in front of the Transaxle.....Unless you want 1 forward gear & Multiple reverse gears

You might want to do some research on oiling issues with flipping the Transaxle.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #8
Matt Cramer

If mounting the engine transversely is an option, these guys have kits to mate the V8 to a GM Getrag transaxle.

http://www.v8archie.us/
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
ACII

hy clinebarger

so far i dont have a favorite....the trans has to handle the mentioned power.

The guys here in german which put around 1000ps out of their 4 cylinder do have manual 3gears transmission....
They dont have a clutch ...

Finally i guess it depends on my budget which transmission i have to choose..

Today i spoke with a Porsche guy here in Germany....he told me the G50 cannot handle that level of power....generally i hope there are some other options, the porsche transmission are far to expensive ...u just have to pay to much just for the brand !!!

Thanks
Achim
Old 07-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #10
ACII

Hy matt

i do have some measurements on the weekend , at the moment i am looking for longitudinal version

Thanks
Achim
Old 07-25-2015, 10:27 PM   #11
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACII View Post
hy clinebarger

so far i dont have a favorite....the trans has to handle the mentioned power.

The guys here in german which put around 1000ps out of their 4 cylinder do have manual 3gears transmission....
They dont have a clutch ...

Finally i guess it depends on my budget which transmission i have to choose..

Today i spoke with a Porsche guy here in Germany....he told me the G50 cannot handle that level of power....generally i hope there are some other options, the porsche transmission are far to expensive ...u just have to pay to much just for the brand !!!

Thanks
Achim

'66-'78 Cadillac Eldorado, Olds Tornado & GMC motorhomes had a TH425 Transaxle, It is Based on a TH400 & very TOUGH in stock form! I have built a few of them, Only because the owner ran them low on fluid.

Cheap adaptors are available to mount it to an LS engine (GM 90 degree bellhousing) The TH425 has a B.O.P Bellhousing pattern. The 2 lower bolts & Dowel pins line up, The adaptor is needed for the other 3 bolts.

The engine will need to sit Backwards in the car, Drive Belt facing the rear of the car, The trans will straddle the side of the engine.

The Differential that is normally mounted to it will not work in this application.
It runs backwards from a Standard differential, And decent gear ratio's are hard to find. And it is Cast Iron & very heavy.

Any '88-Present GM Truck Front Differential can be made to work....
It is off-set correctly.
It accepts CV Axles.
Many Gear Ratios available.
Up to a 9.25" ring gear diameter (3/4 ton & 1 ton)

It will take a Custom machined tailhousing & some fabrication to mate the two together.

If you want an Overdrive, The TH325-4L is mounted just like a TH425, But it is based on a 200-4R, Will have to be beefed up....But can be built to handle some HP.

Some picture I found on the internet of someone attempting this, But I guess never finished it, But 95% of projects never do.....

Old 07-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #12
e015475

If you're going to push past what a G50 can take you might want to take a look at an Albins (made in Australia) or a Fortin transaxle. I've seen a lot of both mated to LSXs, both rear and mid engine. Weddle makes almost any gear ratios for them you'd like.

Another two places you can investigate are Jeff Dellow in Australia or Mendeola transaxles in California. Mendeola makes a dog-shift sequential transaxle that works with the LS motors and will take the power you're talking about, but my experience with them has been off-road, so I don't know what they have that will work on the asphalt. I do know you don't have to flip them to run rear or mid engine

Believe any of them are available to fit either the smaller or larger Porsche CVs

Keep a tight grip on your wallet
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote