The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2015, 12:24 AM   #1
Nchristi

1952 GMC MII Questions

I just purchased a 52 GMC. I've read and researched the s10 swap and the mustang II option. I can find plenty of info on the s10 swap however when it comes to the Mustang II front end every time I search it pulls up some aftermarket company that's wants 2,500 for a front end. Is there anyway you can get these parts from an actual Mustang II? I'd like to keep the original frame but if the only option is to pay that high price for an IFS I'll switch to the s10. Thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nchristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:02 AM   #2
yoshi

Re: 1952 GMC MII Questions

I have an original MII on my 49
Old 08-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
67GMCkid

Of course you can use one out of a 74-78 Mustang ii, if you can find one.. Man has been using the original issue system since the first one hit the salvage yard in early 74 maybe even late 73....

Be sure to do a google search for original mustang ii front suspension there are plenty of discussions on forms and plenty of pictures if you google search Images.

Yes, depending on who's kit you buy, they can go from affordable to sky high in price real fast. Weld in's are usually 200-$500 cheaper than the bolt in kits..
67GMCkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
Old Crow

Check www.gaylebridgesco.com
His kits are several hundred dollars cheaper than most of the other kits on the market. We're putting one in a Model A street rod right now and it's a nice, quality piece.
When I picked up my kit(he's only a couple of hours from me and we go to Hot Springs for fun, anyway)he told me he was working with someone off this forum to install one in an AD truck with stock ride height.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
Nchristi

Thanks for the input. I found an old mustang II and can get the front end for $300. The only issue I see with it is there is no power rack and there is a straight bar connecting to the hubs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
Advanced Design

Welcome Nchristi. I believe the straight bar you are referencing is the strut rod which triangulates and supports the lower control arm.

Fitting in the original piece will be a lot of fabrication and work. Be sure to consider the cost of rebuilding the control arms or buying new ones, the cost of the strut rod bushings, possibly dropped spindles, rotors, bearings, and a rebuilt rack if needed. Then compare those costs to an entire new package that is easier to install.
Just some thinking aloud for you.
Have fun!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
OrrieG

From what I have seen the original MII are not as nice looking as the aftermarket ones with engineered A arm/tube assemblies. Last week on Garage Squad they put a bolt in MII on an AD truck, they mentioned the company and it bolted up in one day (according to them but they probably had 4 people working on it). They also did a new engine, transmission, rearend, front suspension, wiring and interior in 4 days(????) AND the fenders and hood bolted right on without any adjustment!!! I suspect they have a lot more people hiding in the bushes between takes and alter the time frames. In one episode they show up to do the week long build with green leaves on the trees and the reveal is done after they have turned orange.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Nchristi

I havent seen the show but I'll have to try and catch if the next time it's on. All I can say is....it must be nice. Once again thanks for all the input. I guess I'll have to weigh my options
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
67GMCkid

Had it not been for the measuring everything a half dozen times, two days worth of scrubbing the and painting the frame. Going rear slow and taking baby steps on every move and not to mention working out side the garage in the stone driveway, I doubt I have 8 or 10 hours in the install..
Now I did spend three weeks searching cl and local junk yards trying to find a set 15 x 7
5 ,4 3/4 set of roller wheels .. I gave up and bought a cheap set of Bassett wheels off of Summitt just to get it off the jackstands... To think 5 years ago I scrapped over three hundred wheels on one of my property clean ups..
Old 08-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #10
yoshi

This how mine looks at the moment, I'm not sure if someone has cut the spring or possibly not a v8 model MII. I've bought new 375lb springs to raise the truck up so that the suspension is where it should be. Then I have 2" dropped spindles to lower it back down again. Should be a better setup & ride nicer
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #11
yoshi

Here's a pic of my friends 59 with a Heidts MII fitted
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #12
67GMCkid

also if you go with a factory unit from a Mustang 4 or v6 it will have 9" 4 lug rotors so you may be swapping out spindles, calipers, caliper mounting stands to get up to 11" rotors.. I believe you can convert the original control arms over to the tubeular and eliminate the strut rods.

Last edited by 67GMCkid; 08-21-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
mr48chev

This is a stock 76 MII front crossmeber (half of it showing) that I cut out of a car I bought 27 or so years ago to make a driver out of and then found that the car was too rusted out to be worth building. Amazingly the crossmeber is still in pretty good shape.

As others said plan to spend plenty of time fitting and trimming and measuring until you wear a tape measure out.
The good part is that parts to rebuild them aren't expensive and the wheel bearings and upper balljoints match up with what is on a lot of big Fords.

I have a friend who has lost track of how many of those he put under rods and AD trucks in the PNW and most are still on the road.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #14
67GMCkid

here is mine.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #15
iowaboynca

At the end of the day, there are a lot of options out there. Take a step back and scope out what you want your project to be, i.e. daily driver, auto cross sleeper, trailer queen show truck, nut and bolt restoration, etc. and then write down the 4-5 characteristics that will get you there.

Then adjust based upon your project scope, adjust for time, budget and skills/ability, that will in large part tell you what direction to go. THEN don't feel overwhelmed because it can seem daunting, but hey the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

Good luck and gotta love those GMCs!!!

Old 08-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #16
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I'm not a early MII fan at all. Its just a pinto front end with some new parts and if God wanted you to use a pinto front end he would not have made them explode on impact. All kidding aside these are car front ends, the top hat with T bolts was a bad idea then and even worse now that you have other options.

The newer MII is really not anything close to an original when it comes to spindles and other parts. The only remaining kinship is the name and design type. If you can get an MII with the GM type upper A arm mount then that's better. But remember it still a pinto design. It had a curb weight of 2100 lbs, your truck has a curb weight of 4000 lbs. It doesn't make sense to me to put a 1200 lbs front suspension under a truck that needs 2200 axle. The axle requirement for a 3100 is the same as the GVW of the entire pinto/MII car.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #17
Hampshire

Quote:
Check www.gaylebridgesco.com
His kits are several hundred dollars cheaper than most of the other kits on the market.
+1 on Gayle - all done on my build page
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #18
Nchristi

Thanks again for everyone's input. I ended up purchasing a long wheel base s10 for $250 today. Now the fun begins!
Posted via Mobile Device