The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2015, 01:57 AM   #1
68c10owner

any California swaps out there into smog years?

Would love to hear what all is involved in getting a LS into these trucks and then still having to smog them. In California it's 1976-up. What are you guys doing for any performance mods? I'm considering a 5.3 into a 85 GMC and really annex on a stock engine but I'm thinking headers, a air intake and maybe a mild performance cam, something like the zo6 cam. What's the smog issues you guys have run into?
Old 09-14-2015, 07:47 AM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: any California swaps out there into smog years?

Have you called your California Air Board rep??? Maybe the guys at the local Inspection depot????

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:27 AM   #3
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
Have you called your California Air Board rep??? Maybe the guys at the local Inspection depot????
No. I just started thinking about he smog stuff last night. I have some idea of what's legal, just wanted to hear from actual experiences. I know that I'll need any smog equipment for whatever is required for the year of the engine I use and that any parts that are legal for that particular engine should be legal in a swap as well. I know a guy with a shop who has done many ls swaps but I believe they are all pretty smog swaps. I haven't been able to ask him yet either.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
the ideaman

Why not look into the e-rod conversion? One of the truck magazines just built a truck which passed smog in a late model.
the ideaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ideaman View Post
Why not look into the e-rod conversion? One of the truck magazines just built a truck which passed smog in a late model.
Last time I saw one of those kits it was around d $10k. I know these swaps are done all the time for a fraction of that price.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
NorCalAnthony

There are a few smog legal swaps out there but not many. I’m not too far from you and am still gathering parts for a 5.3/4l80e swap in to my ’89 K5. I haven’t gone through the actual referee process yet but here’s a short list of things to look out for that I’ve learned from other CA swaps on various forums:
-All the smog equipment must be carried over from the donor vehicle. Cats, O2 sensors, and evap system. The evap system is what screws up a lot of people but it really isn’t too bad/too much extra work if you know about it up front. Basically you can mount the canister and canister vent solenoid near your tank and install the FPS (fuel pressure sensor) with an in-line tee along one of the evap lines. The tricky part is that the PCM also needs to see the fuel level so it knows when to purge or not. I’ve seen a couple of guys just try to bypass that with HP Tuners but then get caught and failed by the smog ref. One way to cover both of those is to adapt and install a late model sending unit in to your tank since they’ll show your PCM the fuel level and also have the FPS built in to it.
-For bolt-on performance mods you’re basically SOL with most of the common stuff since you’re limited to whatever is CARB certified for your donor vehicle. No long tube headers allowed and most of the approved shorty headers gain little to nothing over the newer OEM manifolds so they aren’t worth the extra $$$ IMO. Most of the big name cold air intake companies all make CARB approved products so lots of options there.
-For internal performance mods as long as you stay mild there are lots of options out there. The main trick is to make sure it still looks and sounds like stock as in no super lopey cams or aftermarket heads with brand names stamped all over. Switching to the TBSS/NNBS intake is another really good bang for your buck mod. They flow a lot better than the ’99-’07 intakes and you can usually pick them up complete with bigger injectors and throttle body for a couple hundred bucks or less. Really, if you want to go through all that you might as well just start with a Gen IV 5.3 since it’ll come with higher compression (9.9:1 vs 9.5:1), better flowing heads with bigger valves (799/243 vs 706/862), bigger injectors, and better flowing intake.
-For camshafts I would avoid the Z06 cam in a 5.3 since it shifts the power band too far up in the smaller displacement engines for most people's preference (lots of happy 6.0 guys though). Brian Tooley, Cam Motion, and a few others all have drop-in cam shafts specifically made for the truck engines and most cam shaft companies will even make a custom grind specific to your application for little or no extra cost. How far you want to go with CNC'd heads, cams, valve springs, etc just depends on your budget.
-The E-Rod engines and packages are nice and convenient but not really worth the super high cost IMO. Just the 5.3 (LC9) e-rod package runs $7-8k and that’s without a trans… You should be able to get a complete take-out engine and trans for $1500-3000 (maybe more) depending on engine size, year, and mileage.

Good luck with your swap. Keep us posted once you get going on it
NorCalAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
68c10owner

I knew I needed all of the smog stuff from the donor truck but wasnt sure what kind of a process it was to get it legal. I`m starting to think going to a TBI or Vortec might be easier to handle. This is not going to be a hot rod. I just want a reliable truck that gets decent fuel mileage and still have good power getting on the freeway and passing people. My last carbed 305/700r4 set up was maxed out at 65mph. would just take too long to go much faster and forget about trying to pass someone real quick.