The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
hugger6933

Re: 4x4 Cab vs 2x4 Cab

I rebuild wrecks for a living and I have checked several times about the vin and the thing i was told by both DFA and law enforcement was to not replace the "whole " cab but just the portions needed. Other wise saying if you cut out the area around the vin tag and place it onto the replacement cab it would be the best way to go. Say 6 or so inches around should do it.
Now don't take anything I have said other than food for thought but it does indeed leave the vin tag area undisturbed witch is why they didn't want people taking them off in the first place.
Now you can buy the rivets that look like vin tag rivets and there has to be some leeway there for restorers and the like that are on the up and up. The main reason is to slow down illegal activities. Like back in my area in the 90's there was a group buying the hardest hit stuff from the sales [insurance pools] and then a day or two later they would be on the road for sale again. It turns out those clowns were stealing trucks and swapping the vin tags and the key switches and the left door locks on them onto the stolen truck. Then they were selling the leftover motor stuff and what ever sheetmetal parts that were good to other builders. Fortunately I didn't do anything but stay far away from them. They got busted selling stolen stuff it was like 150 or so they did. Lots of people lost their "new to them" trucks. It made it harder for me to sell with all that going on but my customers trusted me and the FBI did check out several that I had built and realized I was clean. Now I know that is an extreme case and your just wanting to get the rust out[and in this case off of] your truck Good luck. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote