The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #1
trulyjonny89

235 engine troubles

So i picked up a 59' 3A and I'm currently trying to get the original 235 that came in it. Except I'm having issues trying to get it started. And honestly I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Any help would be appreciated
trulyjonny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 235 engine troubles

Your information is to vague to give yo any direction. What have you tried, what does it do? knock, pop, backfire, crank, no crank ???? What have you tried?
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
trulyjonny89

I've replaced spark plugs, wires, distributor, battery, points. I get it to attempt to crank. It will start to spin. I can't tell if I'm getting spark or not.
trulyjonny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
OrrieG

Is the battery fully charged? 6 or 12 v conversion? You can have enough to turn the engine but not enough to fully fire the ignition. Test for spark by disconnecting a plug wire and hold it with insulated pliers about 1/8' away from the block. Have SO turn it over, should get good blue spark.

Foot or key start?

When you replace the points did you pay attention to not short the wires to the base plate (common problem), replace the condenser and set the dwell? When you had the plugs out did you check compression?

Does the carb have fuel in the bowl and squirt when accelerator rod is pushed? If yes you have enough fuel in the bowl for it to run for 15-20 seconds. If it dies after that need to check the fuel pump.

Did you clean out the gas tank and lines if it had been sitting? Might have pulled crud and clogged the filter.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
Coupeguy2001

HAVE YOUR WIFE HOLD ONTO A SPARK PLUG WIRE. iF YOU GET SPARK, YOU ARE SLEEPING IN THE BED OF THE TRUCK FOR A MONTH, MAYBE 2
Want to know if you have gas?
Have your wife look into the carburetor and if it backfires and her hair catches on fire,
you are sleeping outside in the dirt for 3 months and she torches the garage.
Just some simple tips.........
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
Coupeguy2001

Ok, serious now.......
I think your ignition resistor is bad. jumper the ignition resistor going to the coil with a wire so the wire goes from one screw to the other screw of the ignition resistor where the wires connect to it.....
If it runs and stays running, you need to shut it off within 5 minutes or you will burn up the coil.

The ignition resistor is bypassed during start, and the minute you terminate the start procedure, the ignition current goes through the ignition resistor to keep from burning up the coil. If it's bad the second the starter drops out, the engine will quit.

The engine will act like it's catching, but you take your foot off the starter, and the engine dies.

You have two options:

1. buy a coil with an internal resistor, and take out the ignition resistor altogether.

2. buy a new ignition resistor, and it should stay running.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 10-25-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote