The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
yoshi

Fitting an E brake

I'm looking to fit an e brake I have nothing at all left of the original. There's a 96 Tahoe suburban e brake for sale here in the UK, would that work? If so would it take much to fit & run cables etc to these calipers?
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: Fitting an E brake

I think it is a matter of installing the foot pedal part where it will be out off the way but still have full function, then run the cables from your calipers to a spot on the frame where they can come together with a cross bracket. then just connect the dots to the foot pedal mechanism. try to get the complete pedal mechanism with the forward cable and the release lever etc. that cable would go to a bracket on the frame where the outer cable would terminate and the inner cable would continue on to the cross bracket from the rear cables. you could use cable clamps to shorten or lengthen the forward cable or have a proper terminal end pressed on at a shop that works on 4x4 winch cables or perhaps an aircraft shop etc. shouldn't be too hard to figure once you have a plan figured out. what were the calipers from originally? maybe get the rear cables from that year/model and string them out to a connection point on the frame. then connect the dots. I was going to use the pedal assembly from a chevy S10. the peadal mounts on the left though, so maybe not great for your right hand drive stuff unless you mount it blind (backwards, so the normally outward facing becomes inward facing? the forward cable goes out through the floor and the unit has a remote release cable that can mount in a convenient location out of the way from the knees etc. a trip to the wrecker would probably come up with enough connection links or cross connectors to figure the job out. some chevy pick ups also have short connector cables that you could use to connect the dots between cables if the original forward cable ends up to be too short.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
69l46vert

I took a different tack with my brake. Mounted an old style hand brake to the pass. side of the transmission much like the older big trucks had. It works great and I was able to use the old pivot bar between the frame rails. My rear brakes are drum however. I got the handle from ebay and I think it came from a 48 International. Another option for this type is the Lokar setup. I almost went that route but new and shiny doesn't fit in well with my build. They have several styles, floor, trans and foot operated e brakes.

http://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/eme...akes-main.html

http://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/eme...handbrake.html
Dana 44 Front Dana 60 Rear
SBC350/SM465/NP205
69l46vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
dsraven

what is your brake set up from originally?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
yoshi

From what I've been told ford Sierra
Old 10-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
dsraven

not familiar with that car as it is not sold here aparently. that said, you may be able to get a set of rear cables custom made for you. they do that here in Canada anyway. try a hydraulic hose place, that is who does it here. the other option is to go to a wrecker where they will allow you to walk through their yard and match up something that fits the caliper. then it is just a matter of frame brackets to hold the outer cables, connector "t"s and the link up to the front mechanism. they look a lot like the calipers used on mustang rear disc set up. maybe the p[arts store could help you out?
Old 10-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
mr48chev

You could use about any pedal or handle that fits where you want it in the truck cab and has enough movement to apply the brakes right.

Boat or aircraft suppliers can usually swag the ferrules on the cable to make up a cable the right length.

I mounted the park brake pedal rather high against the kick panel on my truck and while it is a bit high for comfort it works well and is out of the way.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote