The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
frenchy51

2/4 drop & towing?

Thinking of lowering my 69 1/2 ton C10 long bed with just new coils and shocks to get a 2/4 drop. Will I still be able to tow my 16' car trailer loaded? Any actual experience with this out there would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies.
frenchy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
chopnchaneled

Re: 2/4 drop & towing?

Mine is a 4.5 and 6 inch drop done with spindles and springs, I had to put
air shocks on the rear to haul all my camping stuff and bass boat.
"the one in my avatar" hope the helps.
Joe
Old 10-31-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
cherokeejohn

I cant speak for mine as it isn't lowered yet, but my uncle has a 67 with a 3.5/5 drop, spindles and springs and also with the help of a trailer brake and air shocks in the rear he tows both his car trailer with his track car and his 24' vintage Airstream with it. I,ve rode along with him on many trips and never seen him sweat a drop. hope this helps some
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
frenchy51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeejohn View Post
I cant speak for mine as it isn't lowered yet, but my uncle has a 67 with a 3.5/5 drop, spindles and springs and also with the help of a trailer brake and air shocks in the rear he tows both his car trailer with his track car and his 24' vintage Airstream with it. I,ve rode along with him on many trips and never seen him sweat a drop. hope this helps some
I'm hoping to get by without the added expense of drop spindles-just want to do lowered springs. Thanks for your reply.
frenchy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
Ruscal

If anything, lowering the front should help with stability. The rear will need to be able to support the additional tongue weight. I installed air bags in my rear coils for towing. You will have less travel after lowering, so spring rate matching is important so you don't blow through your travel.
Russ
Old 10-31-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
cherokeejohn

I ask'd my uncle why he used drop spindles instead of just springs. he replied with that by using spindles and springs with only 1' lower he was able to keep as muck suspension travel as possible and keep a smoother ride. He did this mod back in the mid-late 90s and said that if he were doing it now the only different thing he would do now is use air bags in the springs (like posted by Ruscal above). this will allow a smother ride when not towing and also allow to use matching shocks all the way around. he also said that a sway bar is a must and a good steering shock set-up really helps too. He tows his trailers both long and short distances. From his Shop/Home on the Cherokee reservation in western N. Carolina (in the smokey mnts, very steep hills!) to tracks all over the S.E. and the camper to Daytona every year for bike week, Laconia, and Sturgis a few times too. Along with the Airstream in tow, He has his bike in the bed along with a bunch of tools and all he and the wife's gear so it adds up to a decent load. He also has a 97 K1500 ex-cab longbed and says he prefers to tow with the 67 everytime
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote