The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
jserrato714

how to get my 63 bagged c10 laying lower

Hey peeps, bored and have nothing to do this weekend. I was thinking that I would like to see my front end lower than what it is. Mytruck is a 63 sb...I have airbag all around. I have firestone 2600 up front with a flat crossmember bag plate. I have a 2 " bag cup for the bottom... I have 2 1/2 cpp drop spindels also with stock upper and lower control arms. Not sure what arms they are. The front end is converted to 5 lug dont know if certain years had different angles on the arms. Also I removed the wheel tubs for more room...Any ideas or links would be appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Last edited by jserrato714; 08-06-2010 at 07:39 PM.
jserrato714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Painter D

Re: how to get my 63 bagged c10 laying lower

If you've got the coin ,run a Porterbuilt Dropmember.

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
WellBilt Kustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserrato714 View Post
Hey peeps, bored and have nothing to do this weekend. I was thinking that I would like to see my front end lower than what it is. Mytruck is a 63 sb...I have airbag all around. I have firestone 2600 up front with a flat crossmember bag plate. I have a 2 " bag cup for the bottom... I have 2 1/2 cpp drop spindels also with stock upper and lower control arms. Not sure what arms they are. The front end is converted to 5 lug dont know if certain years had different angles on the arms. Also I removed the wheel tubs for more room...Any ideas or links would be appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance

Super clean truck!

Can you tell if the truck is being held up by the bag? Are the shocks holding it up from being bottomed out? Bump stops taken off of the lower control arm?

There are several ways to get your truck to lay out flat in the front.

Best way possible....one word...DROPMEMBER!

There's also cutting your factory crossmember to sit up higher into the frame rails.

And you can Z the front frame rails.

Going with tubed control arms should help get you down lower as well.

If you can, post up a pic of the front suspension aired out.
WellBilt Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
jserrato714

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellBilt Kustoms View Post
Super clean truck!

Can you tell if the truck is being held up by the bag? Are the shocks holding it up from being bottomed out? Bump stops taken off of the lower control arm?

There are several ways to get your truck to lay out flat in the front.

Best way possible....one word...DROPMEMBER!

There's also cutting your factory crossmember to sit up higher into the frame rails.

And you can Z the front frame rails.

Going with tubed control arms should help get you down lower as well.

If you can, post up a pic of the front suspension aired out.
The front is aired out.. no air in the bag.....Ill upload a pic......the bump stops are cut off....I am on a budget so the cheapest way to even it out....How much is a crossmember?links to where I can purchase? thanks for the quick replys sorry for the crappy pics
Attached Images

Last edited by jserrato714; 08-06-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
WellBilt Kustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserrato714 View Post
The front is aired out.. no air in the bag.....Ill upload a pic......the bump stops are cut off....I am on a budget so the cheapest way to even it out....How much is a crossmember?links to where I can purchase? thanks for the quick replys sorry for the crappy pics
From looking at that picture, you can get the front of your truck down by mounting that bag down into the lower control arm. Instead of having your bag sit on top of a cup thats 2" tall, mounted on top of your lower control arm, mount it into the control arm.

I guess the easiest way to explain it would be...if you take that lower cup, and flip it upside down, but cut away the lower control arm so the very bottom of the cup (where the bag will sit on), is the lowest part of the arm as well. So when your truck is aired out, the bolt that goes into the bottom of your bag, would be almost touching the ground. Typically, you would use a larger diameter cup though, to prevent the bag from rubbing when aired out since it will be compressed inside the new cup when aired out. I've used 8" diameter X 0.25" thick round tubing to do this. Once I cut the lower control arm out for the round tubing to fit into it, the bottom of the round tubing gets plated with the same thickness steel plate, with the one hole drilled in it so you can bolt up the bag. I usually plate around the top of the cup as well, to strengthen the arm. That should get your front end down a few inches.

I hope this all makes sense. I have a shop in Buena Park, not too far away from you. I might have a set of arms here that I modified just as I explained, but fit on a different model car. If I can find them, your more then welcome to come by and take a look at them, so you can see what I'm talking about.
WellBilt Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Looks to me you could easily get about an inch by simply cutting off a ring on the cups you are using now. As long as the bag does not rub as previously stated.

Are your tires hitting the inner fenders?
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
shortbed70

As stated earlier you could do like I did and make some lower control arms. heres a pic.
Attached Images

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:43 AM   #8
jserrato714

Thanks guys for the help!! I like all your ideas...but my tools are limited. Yeah i have heard of your shop "wellbuiltcustoms" in BP. If you have the arms and/or can modify mine let me know how much. Thanks again to all.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

you need to drop that bag.....

first you can cut about 1 1/2" off the cup on the bottom or you can cut out the lower control arm put in a piece of 8" pipe with a plate on the bottom ..check my build for pics of them with heights...my lower control arm is flat against my X memeber...or 3rd buy or build a lower X which has alot of other issues to deal with,,,

best bet measure how high you bag is off the LCA and cut it all off except 1/4" so your bag doesn't rub...should take only a couple hours tops and min tools

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
Jlo123

I have this same problem on my 70. The back damn near drags and the front only goes a few inch past the top of the tire. Which route did you end up going? And can you post a few pictures
Jlo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #11
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlo123 View Post
I have this same problem on my 70. The back damn near drags and the front only goes a few inch past the top of the tire. Which route did you end up going? And can you post a few pictures
here is what I used to do the crossember on my crew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543729
got me an extra 2 inches.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote