The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
Cam-Shaft

Square Body Engine Crossmember in 67-72 Chevy

When I was looking into this swap I did countless hours of searching for someone who document this well. I didn't take pictures the whole way, but I thought I would post what I did take pictures of so anyone hoping do this swap would have some point of reference.

I am swapping in a 6.2 diesel and thought I would use later style mounts/towers/crossmember for better clearance and vibration control.

I bought the entire front frame clip off a square body from a local performance parts shop/store.

The cross member is riveted on, so those need to ground off the old frame. I also had to pry the frame apart a little bit to get it out, however that wouldn't be needed if you unbolt the towers from the crossmember as I found out later.

Here is the part I didn't document very well. The frame rails are a little narrower, so you will need to cut down the towers a quarter inch or so (measure for yourself, don't go off that guess). I cut them down little bit at a time until they fit then welded the top flange back in place.

I measured and placed it in the position so it would line up correctly with where the other crossmember was. It turns out that the rear hole in the top flange of the mount towers lines up with the rear most whole from the previous cross member perfectly.

I put those two bolts in and then drilled 9 more holes ( see pictures) and bolted everything down tight with grade 8 hardware. The paint was a quick flat black job just to get something on the bare metal welds/grind marks.

I used the original holes in the upper frame and drilled a new one through the mount but the rest I drilled through the crossmember original holes through the frame.

Here are the pictures. I ordered new mounts and will let everyone know if the motor lines up well, but it hopefully should.

If anyone has any questions, please ask. I had a very hard time finding any information on this and thought I would post my experience. If you have a welder a grinder and a drill, this is very doable.

Cam-Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Undone

Re: Square Body Engine Crossmember in 67-72 Chevy

Engine will sit higher, mechanical fan blades will hit fan shroud.
Undone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:41 AM   #3
Cam-Shaft

That's the idea, engine needs to sit higher as the frame rails hit the manifolds. Fan shroud will be modified
Old 12-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
Cam-Shaft

Here are the finished product pictures. Engine fits great with excellent clearance plus I feel much better about it with the newer style mounts which are a little larger.

Hope this can help someone out there!