The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2015, 03:35 AM   #1
Zappafan

Odd question about buying a truck out of country

I've been looking for a truck for a while now, I have some particular things that are must haves, and won't settle for a truck that doesn't have them. They are fairly basic, manual trans (floor shift preferred), V8 power, body and frame in decent shape. So not a big list, but enough that where I live, they don't come up to often. I've gone online and I did find a nice truck in Seattle that met my needs. Now the issue is, I'm in Canada on Vancouver Island. Has anybody ever hired a service that will check out a vehicle, unbiased and if everything checks out, purchase it. Using my cash of course. I'm not talking big dollars here, about $3200 Canadian dollars. I guess I better renew my passport lol.
Zappafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:01 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Odd question about buying a truck out of country

There are services that do it, and I've done it for folks before. The thing is, its a service thats generally reserved for high dollar cars (rare, specialty modded, auction cars etc), or entire lots. In those cases, the broker gets a percentage.

Most of the time, the person doing so needs to have a dealers license, a way to transport a vehicle (DOT#), insurance all that. On a vehicle thats only ~2500usd, the %'s wouldn't be worth the time for a broker...and a flat rate, or even just the escrow and transport would be prohibitively expensive. Not to mention all the import/export stuff.

Someone may have a cheaper option, but I'm not familiar with any that aren't $$

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:15 AM   #3
Zappafan

Yes, I suppose that I overly simplified things. I would only want it stored, and not brought up here. I remember years ago looking at a car for a friend of a friend that lived over on the mainland. It saved him a trip, and I actually enjoyed scrutinizing the car because I didn't have any emotional interest in buying it for myself. There's a 72 waiting period on any vehicle being exported, so no matter what, it would have to be stored for a while. I'm sure there's a storage facility somewhere around Seattle. I'll do some more digging. Thanks for your input, it gives me a few more things to think about
Old 12-29-2015, 04:19 AM   #4
padresag

get your passport and go check them out yourself. there are quite a few trucks that come up for sale the PNW that you can easily drive to in a day inc the ferries, paperwork is not difficult, you just have to make it is done right. you will pay a fortune to someone to buy it and get it here.
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #5
Zappafan

Admittedly, yes, going down and checking them out in person is the best way to know exactly what condition the truck is actually in. But if I do find one and decide to buy it, there is still the 72 wait while border services checks out the paperwork. What do people do about storage and insurance?
Old 12-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
geezer#99

BUY LOCAL!!!!
Or talk to someone in the import business.
Like here.
One of many.
https://www.aacb.com/get-your-produc...auto-shipping/
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
Zappafan

For sure, buying locally would be my preferred and much easier route to take. It's a matter of availability. I'm not in a big hurry, but I also don't want to spend the next 9 months constantly scouring Craigslist and the other online services. Right now, there are 5 trucks that would work for me that are across the border......locally....none. Our dollar sucks right now, but even with that factored in, they are a much better deal. So as Padresag has said, I need to get the passport in order, or an enhanced drivers license, and head down there myself. The insurance and the storage in still a question.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
geezer#99

Grab the phone and make a call to those guys on the link.
They'll have the answers for you.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #9
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappafan View Post
Admittedly, yes, going down and checking them out in person is the best way to know exactly what condition the truck is actually in. But if I do find one and decide to buy it, there is still the 72 wait while border services checks out the paperwork. What do people do about storage and insurance?
I believe just the paper work has to be there ahead of time. just leave it from where you are purchasing it until needed. there are also storage places in Blaine and possibly Annacortis(shouldn't be hard to find). I got turned back at Blaine 50 years ago when I was bringing back a corvette rear swing axle setup
and it was a saturday and they wanted to have it appraised so had to bring it back thru on the Monday, no problem. stored it at a gas station.
I have completed documents here if you want to see
I can also give you a local nbr for a guy that has brought a few back
ron
Old 12-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
Zappafan

That would be great if I could see what documents I will need Ron. I think the Blaine crossing is the closest border that does importing vehicles. I don't think that you can bring one up through Anacortes, but I'll check with them. I'll do a google for storage in Blaine, I'm sure that I could get a 1 month storage, which leaves lots of time to go down and get it.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #11
flashed

Why not just get someone on this site to look it over for you and if it works out you send the seller funds and have that person that looks at it for you store it for you until you can come get it ?I had a Broker get in touch with me thru Team Chevelle to look at a 67 Chevelle near me his customer was interested in to verify condition and get him more detailed pics and once it was verified it was as represented he sent funds to the seller and I picked up the Chevelle and stored in in my wife's parking spot for a couple of weeks until he could arrange transport.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #12
geezer#99

Here's some info from Canadian Rodder site.
http://www.canadianrodder.com/forum/...ight=importing
http://www.canadianrodder.com/forum/...ight=importing
Old 12-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #13
LT1 Burb

I just shipped a 62 to Vancouver and the rules have changed. You have to have a broker import it now, there is one right at the truck crossing, you still have the 72 hour wait(business days) , but everything else is the same. Plenty of storage places in Blaine , just a phone call away, know the rules or it will cost you time and money.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:03 AM   #14
Zappafan

So instead of me emailing the title and other associated documents to border services I have to hire someone to submit them. Or do they just come into play when I actually bring the truck to the border crossing? I'm assuming that at the Canadian border that as long as the paperwork is in order and I pay the import taxes, that going through the Canadian border shouldn't be any problem. In searching around, someone said that they went through the Port Angeles border, which means taking the Coho ferry to victoria, which would be a lot less travelling and would save a lot of time. Looks like I'll be making some phone calls. I appreciate all the insights that have been shared.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #15
jetboat 4

just phone the crossing they will give you a list of brokers, then pick one call them once you have decided on the truck, forward the title and bill of sale to them, they will do the rest.wait a minimum 72 hrs.go down and pick it up, you will have to pay the gst. on the sale price 5% (hurry before JT raises it )
jetboat 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #16
Zappafan

Well I guess it's an added expense, but if it makes the whole process easier, then I guess it's worth it. Now I just have to hope that our dollar keeps climbing. Thanks for everybody's input. Now it's just a matter of getting my own documents in order so that I can cross the border.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #17
padresag

you can get your passport expedited if you want. you just pay a little more. forms are at the po on beacon
ron
Old 12-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #18
Zappafan

I might just get the enhanced drivers license, it's faster and costs less. I doubt that I'll be flying to see any trucks.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #19
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappafan View Post
I might just get the enhanced drivers license, it's faster and costs less. I doubt that I'll be flying to see any trucks.
Yall have to get a special license? I'm pretty sure we get to drive in your country with no extra requirement, at least from what I remember last time I was up there.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #20
padresag

we have to get it so that we can drive with you folk down there. we just like poor little country people on those big fast roads of yours. we have to get a special licence to drive down there
ron
Old 12-31-2015, 02:34 AM   #21
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

So if you drive from BC to Washington, they can stop you for not having a special license?
But
If I drive from Washington to BC, I can drive free and clear.

I still love BC tho. VcBc is my favorite city.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:38 AM   #22
Zappafan

It's what they call an enhanced license. It allows you to use your drivers license to cross the border from BC to the US if you don't have a passport. You have to apply for it somewhat like getting a passport. It doesn't allow you to board a plane going to the US but is good for driving or taking the ferry.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:21 AM   #23
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
So if you drive from BC to Washington, they can stop you for not having a special license?
But
If I drive from Washington to BC, I can drive free and clear.

I still love BC tho. VcBc is my favorite city.
I was just stringing you along. as stated it is just an enhanced d/licence for your personal ID which one can use for crossing the border except by air.
what does VcBc mean Vancouver or Victoria?
ron