The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2016, 01:16 AM   #1
jocko

Nice survivor 71 Cheyenne on ebay

not mine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C-...m=191772768932

Buy it now is $29k, but how often do you see an all original truck with no repaint with 29k mi. And a big block?
Niiiice. Love white over hugger conventional two-tone.

Strange wording at the end of the ad: "I will NOT accept any offer or sale from anyone until you contact me so I can explain what a treasure you are getting. I am not selling this as a daily driver and suggest... "
Just thought it sounded kinda odd to say. Anyway, enjoy.
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:28 AM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Nice survivor 71 Cheyenne on ebay

Nice truck, but I'm not sold on the asking price.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:37 AM   #3
68bowtie

beautiful truck. sounds like he has a bit of an emotional attachment to it. someone will definitely be getting a treasure, but i think they will know that in already... lol!

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:53 AM   #4
jocko

I agree it's a high price. I couldn't and wouldn't pay it (because of my own finances...) BUT, all indications are that this is a real survivor - I see NOTHING glaring, just 29K (miles ) worth of wear and tear - which is almost none. It would be like buying this truck from the original owner in 1975 - and how many of us would love to have a chance to do that!? Anyway, "true" survivors are few and far between - nice to see one no matter what the price is. For a collector that loves low mileage anything, this is a nice one. Yes, high price, but I think it is a real survivor, nothing appears fake in any way. And THAT, more than anything these days - trim level, options, etc, commands the highest prices. Originality and condition. Purdy truck. I agree, I think the odd comment in the ad is because he loves it and wants to make sure the buyer knows its history. Bought my 72 from the original owner and he was the same way - and I appreciated it very much.

Pete, I seem to know of another white/red conventional two-tone survivor I've been holding out for....
Old 01-02-2016, 03:17 AM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

It's a survivor, but it's seen some elements over the last 45 years. If someone bought it as a driver, sure you might justify a high price. For someone who wants to restore it, 30K plus another 20K or so for 50K for a long bed?........Doesn't pencil out in my mind.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
72 tigger

It would fit right in with Joesjunk's herd- nice!
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #7
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Man, what a sweet truck!
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #8
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
It's a survivor, but it's seen some elements over the last 45 years. If someone bought it as a driver, sure you might justify a high price. For someone who wants to restore it, 30K plus another 20K or so for 50K for a long bed?........Doesn't pencil out in my mind.
I would not think this truck would ever be a candidate for a restoration, and it could be kept as a time capsule as opposed to a daily driver. Restoring a survivor in this condition makes no sense, as you point out, and would likely decrease its value to below the purchase price. Once it's restored, the trim level and options come more into play in the price and this is just a 1/2 ton Cheyenne. A restored vehicle could have had 29k miles on it or 229K miles on it and look the same. I think the whole point to this truck is its originality.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
What is there to restore. To me get the A/C working and give it a super polish to bring out the paint then drive and enjoy it.

Strange wording at the end of the ad: "I will NOT accept any offer or sale from anyone until you contact me so I can explain what a treasure you are getting. I am not selling this as a daily driver and suggest... "
Just thought it sounded kinda odd to say. Anyway, enjoy.

Mark I'm thinking the seller has it priced to keep the fakes and flippers away. If he knows these trucks as well as I think he/she does he realizes he has it priced in the stratosphere and wants to control who it goes to as opposed to topping up his 401K when he sells it.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #10
factorystock

How about starting a "67-72 time capsule find" thread ? A place where all these super low mileage pickups with very nice original paint in nearly showroom condition can be collected. It would be a wonderful reference library for those wanting to learn more about the way the factory did it. There is a "most original truck in existence thread" in the 60-66 forums, but I cant find the same thing in the 67-72 side. We have seen quite a few over the years, but if they are not locked into a time capsule thread, they are difficult to search for. I would much rather zero in on "time capsule" versus "most original", original could be taken as an all original truck deteriorated and rusting away in a field. The "time capsule" would capture the way most trucks looked in its first 1-5 years?
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #11
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Mark I'm thinking the seller has it priced to keep the fakes and flippers away. If he knows these trucks as well as I think he/she does he realizes he has it priced in the stratosphere and wants to control who it goes to as opposed to topping up his 401K when he sells it.
I was thinking somewhat the same. It made my 72 more special (even though I didn't think it would) to hear the original owner's old stories about camping with his family in it. His wife even gave me pictures (the actual original pictures) of the truck from 73. The 8 lug slots on it were presents from his kids on 73, and they were new in the pic. About a year later, I sent them a pic of the re-done highlander interior, I think it almost made the guy cry with nostalgia. But, was nice to keep in touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
How about starting a "67-72 time capsule find" thread ? A place where all these super low mileage pickups with very nice original paint in nearly showroom condition can be collected. It would be a wonderful reference library for those wanting to learn more about the way the factory did it. There is a "most original truck in existence thread" in the 60-66 forums, but I cant find the same thing in the 67-72 side. We have seen quite a few over the years, but if they are not locked into a time capsule thread, they are difficult to search for. I would much rather zero in on "time capsule" versus "most original", original could be taken as an all original truck deteriorated and rusting away in a field. The "time capsule" would capture the way most trucks looked in its first 1-5 years?
That's a great idea. I used to spend most of my time over on the 60-66 side and it was a great thread. I will do exactly what you suggested!
Old 01-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #12
ElKotze

I really enjoy looking at "time capsules", when you open the door, see the interior and think: "Yep, that's how it was back in the 70's!" Nothing against trucks restored back to original, but there's just something about a survivor. Seeing that CB under the dash and the sticker with the codes on the visor- way cool !!
About this truck, I just thought that with a big block, ac and fancy saddle interior, that must have been quite the ride back in it's day!! Love it!
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:21 PM   #13
Dirt's72

I see it has New Mexico liscense plates. I have not seen this or any posting on cl for this truck for sale. I did see a short bed super survivor in hugger orange and white last summer just pulling out of a shopping center. Been hoping to see that one again. These things are out there.

Last edited by Dirt's72; 01-02-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:43 PM   #14
joeydurango

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKotze View Post
I really enjoy looking at "time capsules", when you open the door, see the interior and think: "Yep, that's how it was back in the 70's!" Nothing against trucks restored back to original, but there's just something about a survivor. Seeing that CB under the dash and the sticker with the codes on the visor- way cool !!
About this truck, I just thought that with a big block, ac and fancy saddle interior, that must have been quite the ride back in it's day!! Love it!
Agreed. Guess that's the main reason I like these things...
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #15
Coley

Smile Re: Nice survivor 71 Cheyenne on ebay

Thats a great looking truck....but a little high in price I think.
The mileage and the apparent originality is why the price is targeted at that high point I believe.
That said with mileage that low I'm trying to understand why the intake manifold and the valve covers were off of it then re-installed in a low budget fashion with the orange overspray, incorrect clamps, fasteners, etc.
If it was just for detailing sake...then doing the block as well would have made sense. If there was mechanical work involved it does not appear to be listed.
Regardless....really nice truck but a few minor, missing details and information about the engine work would drop the price for me.
I would put it in the $12k-$15k territory myself....but I really like the truck.
Very Nice example either way...
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #16
jocko

great observation Coley. wonder if it had an aftermarket intake and valve covers on it and the originals sat in storage and were reinstalled... Looks like the weren't necessarily cleaned up, but were just put back on and hadn't gotten dirty like the motor over the years. Or he had it apart to work in, which raises questions for a low mile truck.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #17
In The Ten Ring

Cut that thing down to a swb, lower it, and then part it out!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote