The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
Chrisbeds82

Porterbuilt question....

Hey guys... I'm in the process of an LS swap on my 72 SWB and trying to figure out all the suspension. The motor should have around 650hp at the crank and I'm a little concerned about getting all the power to the ground.

I've been looking at the Porterbuilt rear coil over set up and combining it with the inner frame stiffener. I'm wondering if anyone has this set up and has successfully been hooking up. Is it worth the expense? Seems fairly pricey. I know the quality is there just looking for your experience.

help me out before I stress out...
Chrisbeds82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: Porterbuilt question....

You might check in the 'Racing & High Performance' section - safe say none of those guys are running a Porterbuilt setup on a track truck. When you say 'hooking up' are you building a drag truck? What kind of motor are you building? N/A? super/turbo charged? I can't think of many (or any) 'street' tires that will hook up that kind of power in a truck, no matter what shocks/coilovers or frame stiffener is used. I'm running a big block, TREMEC 5spd, Hotchkis springs, Chassisworks DA shocks and an Art Morrison frame stiffener on my '69 with 345mm wide rear tires and they don't stand a chance until I get to the top of 3rd gear, and by that time I'm doing 70+ mph. 1st & 2nd gear are all but useless, but it is a lot of fun and corners well if I'm not aggressive on the throttle when going through turns.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
Chrisbeds82

Re: Porterbuilt question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
You might check in the 'Racing & High Performance' section - safe say none of those guys are running a Porterbuilt setup on a track truck. When you say 'hooking up' are you building a drag truck? What kind of motor are you building? N/A? super/turbo charged? I can't think of many (or any) 'street' tires that will hook up that kind of power in a truck, no matter what shocks/coilovers or frame stiffener is used. I'm running a big block, TREMEC 5spd, Hotchkis springs, Chassisworks DA shocks and an Art Morrison frame stiffener on my '69 with 345mm wide rear tires and they don't stand a chance until I get to the top of 3rd gear, and by that time I'm doing 70+ mph. 1st & 2nd gear are all but useless, but it is a lot of fun and corners well if I'm not aggressive on the throttle when going through turns.
Good questions. The main goal is a pro-touring style truck but it would be nice to be able to take it to the track a few times a year. The motor is NA with about 650hp. It's a full forged lower end and if we can get traction (with a slick or drag radial) it would be fun to spray it. Just trying to give myself the best all around street and strip suspension. It will not be a full drag truck with a cage and all. Im getting 12" wide wheels for 335 or 345 wide tires for the street and will probably have to get a set of wheels with slicks at some point.
Chrisbeds82 is offline   Reply With Quote