The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2016, 10:49 PM   #1
Cooper197

Quick Release Hub

So my '66 is sitting in a barn 350 miles away simply because I know it's safe there.

My parking garage is pretty secure, but earlier this year a car was stolen out of it and I've been a little sketched out since. I've been trying to find a way to make my truck secure so I can bring it down and enjoy it, and I believe I've settled on changing the steering wheel to a quick release set up.

I already have an aftermarket wood steering wheel that's a 3 hole set up, but I was wondering if anybody has some experience with a quick release hub on these trucks?

So far I've been thinking about the Grant 3001, but I don't know tons about these things!
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:32 PM   #2
65sub

Re: Quick Release Hub

I use a Grant quick release hub on my Suburban. It works perfectly. It does add some length to the steering column so I pushed mine forward a little.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655167
65sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:14 AM   #3
DaddyOh

I have used the Sweet Mfg. and Woodward Precision quick release hubs... basically, all the same concept. Keep in mind, if you have power steering or power assist, the car can be easily driven with vice grips if the wheel is missing.

Most 'security' is either proactive or reactive... a wheel hub is reactive, meaning they have already gotten inside your vehicle and feel comfortable enough to stay and play... it's better than nothing but might want to see what is out there before you ultimately decide. Just keep in mind, if they want it bad enough, they will get it... you are just making them work for it.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:19 AM   #4
Cooper197

I know that nothing will keep them from taking it.
I do have an alarm system with an immobilizer on it set to interrupt power to the coil.
I still have manual steering, so I don't think somebody could steer it with vice grip. Plus my assigned spaces are on the 7th floor of a tight garage. I'd be willing to bet that if somebody stole it, and they weren't great with a stick shift and comfortable with power steering, they'd crash before even getting out of the garage.

Hopefully all of this is just thought and worry over nothing, but I feel like between having the alarm set to interrupt power to the coil under the hood (and hidden) in addition to there not being a steering wheel, if somebody got in, that'd all the further they'd go.\

Thank you both for the input!
Old 01-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #5
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

How about a boot like the city uses for parking tickets. They would have a heck of a time with that.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #6
63burban
Chevy addict

On the news, there were some kids going to steel a car until they found out it was a stick shift. Poor little buggers didn't know how to drive a stick.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
zplightning

Here's a link to the one I installed: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=637309

I ended up taking it out, as it was just too close when I was driving, but if you had an adjustable wheel, and/or the ability to move the seat back more (relocated gas tank?) then it would work great.

I still have the hub sitting around, if you are at all interested in upgrading to a 5-hole (Grant or similar) - I can help out with instructions on adapting the 3 hole to that (I adapted the 3-hole to 5-hole using a billet adapter).

The cool thing about the NRG adapter, is you can buy their lock which goes over the steering column, and while pricey seems really secure: Amazon.com: NRG Innovations SRK-101MB Quick Lock... Amazon.com: NRG Innovations SRK-101MB Quick Lock...
zplightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
Cooper197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
How about a boot like the city uses for parking tickets. They would have a heck of a time with that.
I never thought of that. Might be worth considering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
On the news, there were some kids going to steel a car until they found out it was a stick shift. Poor little buggers didn't know how to drive a stick.
Mine is a stick, but I know of a Honda that was stolen out of that garage that was also a stick. Security footage shows the kid wasn't smart enough to even figure out that the battery was disconnected several times he tried to take it

Quote:
Originally Posted by zplightning View Post
Here's a link to the one I installed: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=637309

I ended up taking it out, as it was just too close when I was driving, but if you had an adjustable wheel, and/or the ability to move the seat back more (relocated gas tank?) then it would work great.

I still have the hub sitting around, if you are at all interested in upgrading to a 5-hole (Grant or similar) - I can help out with instructions on adapting the 3 hole to that (I adapted the 3-hole to 5-hole using a billet adapter).

The cool thing about the NRG adapter, is you can buy their lock which goes over the steering column, and while pricey seems really secure: Amazon.com: NRG Innovations SRK-101MB Quick Lock - Matte Black: Automotive
The amount it pushes the wheel out is slightly concerning, but I think I need to look into some specs as to how far it pushes out the wheel. Right now I have a wood wheel with a 4 1/8 inch dish. I'm not dead set on that wheel at all, so if I had to get a wheel that isn't dished to make it all happen, I would be happy to do so. I'd think with a flat wheel, it wouldn't push it too much closer to me than the wheel currently is, but I'll have to check some specs.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #9
65sub

With the Grant system there is a cover that locks over the hub. Then if the thief gets that off there isn't really anything easy to grab with vise grips.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655167
65sub is offline   Reply With Quote