The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
bsampson

Air hammer / chisel - IR117

I'm looking for my first air hammer to remove frame rivets. I've read up on the different procedures, and I plan to grind an x in the head, then use the air chisel to shear off the 4 sections of the head.

The question is, how much do I need to spend on an air hammer for this task. Google searches will lead me to believe that I need a Snap On PH3050 or a CP714. Picking up a used eBay PH3050 for $150 or so would be an option, but, I won't use this often, and if I can spend $50-100 on something that will still get the job done, that's probably the route I'll take.

I've see the IR117k on amazon for a little over $50. Does anybody have experience with this tool? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
bsampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Air hammer / chisel - IR117

if that is your only need for an air chisel don't buy one
cut the heads off with a cutoff wheel in the grinder, drill a hole in the center and drive them out with a punch
i pulled a lot of rivets and brackets off my 58 truk frame this way

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
cableguy0

Ingersol makes good air tools. Not completely familiar with that model but watch craigslist and ebay. You can get nice stuff relatively cheap. A decent hammer with a good chisel bit will knock the rivets off without cutting them at all. Its well worth the investment. Many many jobs become much easier with an air hammer. You will find many uses for it besides rivets. Look up air hammer bit and that will give you an idea of how versatile they are.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
cableguy0

I would skip that particular air hammer and upgrade a bit. That wire spring retainer to the bits is a PITA. Get something with a quick release chuck. Also I would get the stronger hammer you can afford. This is what I use at work. https://store.snapon.com/Heavy-Duty-...y-P646064.aspx . Im almost positive ingersol actually makes it for snap on. Its a great hammer and has been in daily use for 6 years with no issues. If you can get something with similar specs under a different brand name you should be good to go. Check out air cat tools as well. Their air tools are great. I have no experience with the air hammers but have used their air ratchets and impact guns which are great. This air hammer would probably work great for you. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9529_200519529
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
drfloyd

I use a Metabo to cut the rivet heads off. You can cut them flush and simply knock them out. Mine is a 6 inch. I can't imagine working on a truck without one.
drfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:07 PM   #6
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfloyd View Post
I use a Metabo to cut the rivet heads off. You can cut them flush and simply knock them out. Mine is a 6 inch. I can't imagine working on a truck without one.
I did 4 like this Saturday, though I used a sharpened cold chisel sideways on the head to persuade them out. Took about 15 to 20 minutes.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #7
drfloyd

A Metabo should be on the prerequisite list of tools that you must have if you own a shop and do any kind of fab work at all. Indispensable tool.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:58 PM   #8
bsampson

Thanks for the input guys. I think if I get an air hammer, I'll find a number of uses for it. I don't want to go too cheap, and end up with a POS that just takes up space in the tool box.

Now that I'm looking at the $100+ models, I see the IR 118MAX kit for around $120. I'll take a closer look at AirCat too.

drfloyd: Looks like Metabo has an entire line of tools. The most unique looks like their Flat Head Angle grinders. Is this what you are talking about? I'm guessing it gets in the tight spaces where a standard angle grinder wouldn't?
Old 01-14-2016, 12:10 AM   #9
drfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsampson View Post
drfloyd: Looks like Metabo has an entire line of tools. The most unique looks like their Flat Head Angle grinders. Is this what you are talking about? I'm guessing it gets in the tight spaces where a standard angle grinder wouldn't?
You are correct. They do make a full line of tools and all of them are industrial quality. In the commercial power industry when we refer to "A Metabo" that is referencing their standard 6" grinder/cutoff tool that we use in pipe and metal prep. I also have the Flat Head Angle Grinder and use it religiously as well in applications as you described. Metabo's grinders are generally a higher RPM and variable speed.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
midniteblues

a good cold chisel,bfh nice sized punch and a welding glove(ouch).
the rivits i removed were really not that hard to knock out this way.
but i was working on a bare frame.

air hammer sure do come in handy when in tight spaces and ya cant get a swing.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #11
Clavo106

I have that exact model.. I can't remember off Amazon or ebay... I do alway recommended Ir.. because there the best for air , tools, compressor ec...one thing I can say that tgis model lacks power.. for my rivit I hand to grind the heads off flush then a few oil drops then the punch to get them out...
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #12
ERASER5

Don't forget to protect your ears! Muffs, plugs, cotton, whatever. Using an air hammer under your truck is VERY LOUD!

What? Sure. I'll have a samich.

Rivet cutting is only the beginning. I bought a pickle fork set for my air hammer. I've used that one a lot. I have removed a number of hub assemblies with my air hammer too. There are a lot of uses for an air hammer but again, I will remind you, they are LOUD!
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
bsampson

Clavo - I assume you mean the IR 117. It's good to hear. I am planning to spend more, and that helps confirm it. I will probably end up with an IR 118MAX, but I'm also keeping an eye on eBay PH3050's.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #14
slowcpe

I'm pretty sure I've got the IR 114QDC and love it! I was about to buy a $300 SnapOn/Matco/etc but decided to give this one a try for $50-60 (I don't remember the cost). I also picked up a Rivet and Bolt Cutter Chisel and together they slice the head off in about 2-3 minutes. Next time I'm going to try and cut an "x" in the head to see if that cuts down time.

I can't agree enough about ear protection. This thing is LOUD!!!!

I've tried about every option there is on rivet removal and this is by far my favorite, especially in tight spaces.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #15
Clavo106

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsampson View Post
Clavo - I assume you mean the IR 117. It's good to hear. I am planning to spend more, and that helps confirm it. I will probably end up with an IR 118MAX, but I'm also keeping an eye on eBay PH3050's.
yes sir... the ir117 will not chasel away any rivit.its ok for small jobs but. I would recommend my self included upgrading at somepoint..
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:40 AM   #16
BigMike

I had owned a couple of IR chisels before but haven't had one for years. Needed to remove the rivets from the frame to install my CPP trailing arm crossmember. I went to Lowes and they had one for $29 with 4 chisel tips. For $29 I thought, what the hay. If it didn't work I'd bring it back. This thing blew away any doubts on the first rivet. Plenty of punch that made short work of the rivets, totally worth the $29 to me. I really only needed it for this job & maybe some misc future projects, not something I use on a regular basis. I only have an older Campbell Hausfeld 3hp compressor but this little Lowes air chisel kicked some rivet butt.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote