The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-29-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Wink Since everyone asked

Well, no one asked but anyway here is a list of some stuff I'm planning on doing or thinking about real hard.

For my 85, I'm thinking real strongly of finding some good quality, real quiet, free flowing mufflers. If there is such a thing made. Either way, I'm going to find some quiet mufflers. I'm sick of the noise. My 49 year old ears can't take it anymore. I very seldom drive the thing and when I do, I get real sick of it, real quick. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good, but I don't feel the need to advertise noise anymore. I know a quiet muffler will have more restriction, no way around it. But there has to be a compromise somewhere.

Next, I'm thinking about swapping out my urethane leaf spring bushing for stock rubber. The ride on these things suck with the poly bushings. I tired of riding a bouncing ball. The roads where I live are like a dang washboard anyway. NC used to have good roads, but in the last 10 years they are some of the worst in the area. Like I've said before, everything we do to these trucks to make them handle better and get better traction, the worse the ride gets. I don't race anyway because I've got more sense now. I do drive a tad fast but with the tigher suspension and bad roads, it's to the point of getting sucky to even drive the truck anymore.

I guess all I'm saying is when you get older, you are after more comfort. Speed and sound is something I've always loved and still do, but not to extreme of me not even liking to drive my truck. One way or another something is going to change. I added urethane motor mounts and tranny mount. Now I feel the engine vibration. It's not bad enough to make me want to change them too, but like I said it just adds to the equation.

I remember back when I was young and did this stuff. Every time I would drive it made me feel like I was on top of the world. Not anymore. I haven't been doing much research on this but plan to start finding what I want to do. I'm open for all suggestions on links to quiet mufflers. Don't even tell me your Flowmaster (insert whatever number here) is quiet. It ain't going to happen. I'm after the quietest and best flowing muffler made. Cost is of no concern. The bushings are not a problem. Rubber is pretty much rubber, as long as they are from a reputible manufacturer.

If swapping out the rear don't fix it to my expectations, the front will be next. I can put rubber control arm bushings back in just as easy as I did urethane.

What's your thoughts? I know the young guys will think I've totally lost my mind. The older crowd may agree with me. After 49 years of hearing saws, compressors and carpenter tools in general, I'm ready for some peace and quiet. Besides, the new job I'm starting tomorrow is working with saws all day long. But I can wear hearing protection for this. It's hard to wear hearing protection and listen to music.

1985 Chevy C-10

Last edited by swervin ervin; 02-29-2004 at 05:15 PM.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote