The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2016, 01:36 AM   #1
SnapOnBodytech87

Customer bought online tube ss brake line kit and fuel lines...

So I'm restoring a 1970 gmc c10 for a guy. It has a 400 motor, turbo 400 trans, 2wd lwb with a wood floor. It originally was on a 3/4 frame, but he got a 1/2 frame with trailing arms. It's all blasted and painted and it's up to me to reassemble. It was mostlytorn apart when I got it, so I don't know where everything goes. All the suspension type things I can handle fine but the brake lines that he bought and the fuel lines don't make sense to me. Personally I think it's the wrong brake line kit and I think I'm missing at least one fuel line probably a return line. The frame has disk brakes on the front with the brackets for the flex hose to join to the hard line on the front side of the engine cross member. So keeping in mind the frame I'm trying to build is not the original one for the body here are my questions.

How many peices some in the stainless kit for lmc(packaged as inline tube)?
I looked up some pictures of original lines and how they are run and there is cross over 3/16 line going underneath the motor mount brackets, my kit doesn't have those.
The 3/16 lines that run along the engine cross member don't seem to line up to anything at all. The line coming from there rear is at least 2 ft too short. I double check the part number in the catouloge and they match the box they came in. Has anyone had any of these problems? Should I just get some stainless line and make my own? Is it a packaging error? Did I get a kit for a truck with front drums? Or a short box?
Which proportioning valve do I need? And unions and t's?
Also should this truck have more than one fuel line? I have a 3/8 2 peice line but have no idea how it runs, which end is which, and if there is a return line, it is listed for the truck?
It's driving me nuts, I'm trying to do this part quickly for the guy but just ended up wasting a while night staring at it!! Please help, could some one post as detailed picsof the brake lines, proportioning valve and fuel line for this year and possibly motor? Please it's stressing me out lol 😁
SnapOnBodytech87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Customer bought online tube ss brake line kit and fuel lines...

I too, bought mine through LMC, the contours of the bends were all wrong for the cross over tube that goes to the right front wheel, the lines from the master cylinder that tie into the chassis lines don't line up with the "T" fittings, I finally got me some 3/16" and 1/4" brake line, and made my own lines from the master cylinder down. I'm glad I have not bled my brakes yet, what a mess that would have been. in hindsight, I should have just ordered from inline tube and been done with it....I feel your pain
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Customer bought online tube ss brake line kit and fuel lines...

-
It sounds like you inherited a real can of worms. It's hard enough mixing and matching parts and years if you know a lot about these trucks, let alone not being familiar with them. You would be better off making the brake lines from scratch. Check into NiCopp tubing, it wont rust and is easy to bend. (you can bend it by hand)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ubing&_sacat=0

If you buy it on eBay check prices and be sure and check the sellers feedback. Prices are all over the place for the same stuff and some sellers have it listed as 25" instead of 25'. Click on the link and read the actual ad. Also make sure it has free or reasonable shipping.

I think you have a brake line set for a short bed truck, and possibly the wrong year.

As far as the fuel line, if he isn't going to use the emissions stuff you don't need a return line. Just cap it off at the tank and use a vented gas cap....

Wow, I just broke the 14,000 post barrier..... I need to get a life..

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-03-2016 at 10:17 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
jeh

I went through the same thing on mine, the rear lines from drum to drum worked perfect, and even the "T" up and along the frame. As far as the front lines nothing made sense, the master cylinder lines didn't work out either. I ended up bending new tubing up front. By the way, I ordered mine through LMC and they came in an Inline Tube box.
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
snipescastle2

Angry Re: Customer bought online tube ss brake line kit and fuel lines...

Mine, I picked up at LMC locally, they were in a clear heat sealed bag, it was all labled, but they didn't fit worth a dam, at least the front cross member lines.
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
davepl

I bought bulk line and a front kit. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy it all as bulk line. Unless and until the "CNC Bending" is reality and things fit like they did from the factory jig.

My problem was being a 3/4 ton. Maybe the 1/2 ton stuff is spot-on.

I had nothing but grief with Inline Tube. Six weeks waiting for a quote gently reminding them. Finally they told me just to buy what LMC had. Which is made by them anyway...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
waco

If you can, check & see if the guy ordered a kit for 3/4 ton to put on a 1/2 ton chassis, they are different.
Andy
waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #8
TexasLS1

I ordered the front set only from Inline Tube for my '72 Chevy C10 SWB. My truck has disk front brakes. It came with 7 lines (2 MC to Prop Valve, 2 from Prop Valve to T fittings on rear of K member, 1 short piece for driver side from T to rubber brake hose, 1 from T to pass side, 1 from T to pass side frame fitting to lead to rears). The bends were correct in all pieces, though I did have to massage slightly to get everything to mate up - nothing too crazy though. It was a pain installing everything, but my truck is not torn down to the frame.

I can get some decent pics for you (I'll try to get them tonight), but I believe the routing is different in a '70? On mine, the lines at the front outer ends (that connect to the rubber hose from the caliper) run from behind the K member, then up and over the K member toward the front of the truck (under the motor mount brackets), then turn outward toward the wheel (so the rubber hose attaches to the steel line on the front of the K member). I believe the older models are routed on the back of the k member/control arms. Maybe someone can confirm this for me....
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
It sounds like you inherited a real can of worms. It's hard enough mixing and matching parts and years if you know a lot about these trucks, let alone not being familiar with them. You would be better off making the brake lines from scratch. Check into NiCopp tubing, it wont rust and is easy to bend. (you can bend it by hand)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ubing&_sacat=0

If you buy it on eBay check prices and be sure and check the sellers feedback. Prices are all over the place for the same stuff and some sellers have it listed as 25" instead of 25'. Click on the link and read the actual ad. Also make sure it has free or reasonable shipping.

I think you have a brake line set for a short bed truck, and possibly the wrong year.

As far as the fuel line, if he isn't going to use the emissions stuff you don't need a return line. Just cap it off at the tank and use a vented gas cap....

Wow, I just broke the 14,000 post barrier..... I need to get a life..

LockDoc
Great info - Thanks

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:54 PM   #10
SnapOnBodytech87

Well I got some new information the other day the body that I'm using is a 71 not a 70. And the frame is a 71 or 72 he thinks. Could this be my problem he ordered brake lines for the wrong year? I called lmc myself and they were very helpful. She said to take pictures of my frame, how the lines I have fit and don't work. I'm also going to run1/4 green tape to show how the lines should run or where I need them to go. Email all the pics and info to her and she would pass it to the techs to tell me what kit I need. According to the research and pics I found of finished frames I need lines for a 71 or 72. Does this make sense? I just hope I can get the right lines in the end!

Also now that I know the body and frame are different years, is there any difference in the two years body wise, mounting the body to the frame, any differences at all? Would be nice to know ahead of time of problems that lie ahead!
SnapOnBodytech87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

The only difference between 70 and 71 should be the drum to disc differences. I can see the tubing from m/c to spindles as having different bends, lengths, etc

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I installed a SS line kit from Inline Tube into my 1972 GMC C1500 long bed with rear leaf springs. Barring a few tweaks and bends I had to make, it fit very well and I am very happy with the fit and finish.

Fast forward to more recent. I wrecked the truck and bent the 1972 frame pretty bad. So now it is sitting on a 1969 C10 long bed coil sprung frame. I'm using all the 1972 disc brake stuff up front as well. There are differences to how the lines are ran from 1972 disc/drum and leaf springs out back to the 1969 drum/drum and coils in the back. I just have to get creative on how I go about making it all work with the line kit I bought.

It can be done, just gotta think outside the box of only buying parts to simply bolt together. Making sense of mismatched parts can be a pain.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #13
davepl

Nothing a roll of mild steel tubing, some nuts, and a Mastercool hydraulic flaring tool won't fix. That's how I'm doing them all now, except maybe the little circular lines from booster to valve.

And I did stainless, which is a serious bruise in the quad to bend. Mild steel that's coated looks almost as good and bends easy too!

Take the money you save on the kits to buy the tool (it'll take 2 or more projects for it to pay itself back though). I do wish I had a tubing straightener but they're too much $$$ for what you get, though it'd be handy even for the kits that get shipped coiled up.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote