The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
weider1717

This truck is making a good mechanic out of me! Never ends

Well my pwr windows and locks have always worked in my 87 I rolled down my drivers door window and later went to roll it back up and it decided to finally stop working.

no signs before hand just all of the sudden while all the way down not working at all :wash:I know but is it ok to try to grab it and pull it up? hate to and be hard to get anything on it and hard not to scratch it. don't have time to tear into it and right now my garage is full so need to get it rolled up.
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

Re: This truck is making a good mechanic out of me! Never ends

Yes you can pull it up while pushing the up switch. If everything else works its probably the motor or a broken wire in the jam when it comes out the door. Most likely the motor.
1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
swissarmychainsaw

This is a common issue with power windows. Just "help" the window up by pushing it. If really hard to get up, sandwich the glass in your hand "prayer position" and push it that way, while your partner or toe hits the up button.

I replaced the electric motor, and it worked like new. Faster up and down.
The difference was worth the time spent, and as I recall, the motor is pretty cheap.

ASLO while you have it in there, check your regulator (the metal scissor thing that actually holds the window. If worn, replace also cheap, and since you have it open.
yep I had to do it twice for a $20 part!
swissarmychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

You should remove the door panel and check the wiring. Pull the wiring connector off the motor at the bottom of the door, then stick two short pieces of copper wire (from house wire, 12 ga or 14 ga solid wire) in the ends of the connector. Attach the alligator clip end of a 12 volt continuity tester to one piece of wire and touch the probe end of the tester to the other wire, then operate the switch. If the light goes on, then your wiring is OK and you need to replace the motor. If the light does not go on, then you have a wiring issue upstream.

NOTE: My window problems were all due to bad harness/wiring. If you have no light when performing the above test, then wiggle the harness where it connects to the switch. The pins in this connector come loose and you need to replace the harness/connector to the switch. The motors are often replaced when it is really an intermittent wiring connection issue.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote