The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
BarnFresh

Stock fuel tank for FI ?

Hi new poster here. I have a 52 chevy 1/2 ton that I have been working on with my son. The plan is a stock looking truck other than the stance. I am about to start some patch panels and was wondering if I can reuse the stock gas tank.
I inherited a 350 from a 90 caprice that will be perfect for what I am using the truck for. Plan is to install a 3/8 dump line from the gas tank to feed a fuel pump and run the return line between the gas tank and fuel pump. Do I need a baffle in the gas tank or have to worry about pressure build up ?
BarnFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: Stock fuel tank for FI ?

Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

I converted my stock '57 tank to an EFI tank. I modified the sending unit to hold a pump, built a baffle around the pump, and opened up the top to accept the new sender. My only warning is that if the tank is in the cab it may be tough to keep fuel vapors out of the cab.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
_Ogre

Quote:
run the return line between the gas tank and fuel pump
that would work briefly, you will get heat build up and eventually vapor lock tying the return line in the same line
you'd be better of tying the return line in the filler neck or sending unit hole

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:02 PM   #4
dsraven

like OGRE says, it is always better to run the return line back to the tank because it helps keep cooler fuel in the lines. why not add a return line port to the tank, as well as a vent line port so you can vent to a carbon cannister (I know, bad word) or at least to the outside of the truck. you may be able to find a bolt up bulkhead styyle fitting that you could install somewhere near the sending unit so you could access the inside of the tank through that hole, or maybe in or near the filler neck. possible remove the filler neck and add a barbed fitting or 2 by welding them to the neck.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
BarnFresh

I pulled the tank out last night and it is a compete loss. I am leaning towards a 60s mustang tank that has a return line built in and running an external fuel pump. Thanks for the quick responses.
BarnFresh is offline   Reply With Quote