The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2004, 11:32 PM   #1
BowTieMan

lift questions

I am thinking of geting a 73-80 chevy truck for my first vehicle. I want to put a 6in lift with 35's. I know I will need new springs, shocks, stering arm (pitman arm?), and brake lines. WIll I need to lengthen the drive shafts? I still am not sure on wiether or not I want a long bed or short bed. If I get a short bed could I take a long bed drive shaft and have it shortened to fit? And if I get a long bed could I take a crew cab drive shaft and have it shortend? And are 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton drive shafts the same?
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 12:45 AM   #2
ALBATROSS

I've got a 71 short bed with a 6" lift. I bought it that way but it that way but it's got a custom drive shaft in the rear. I don't think that they can be lengthened so they build new ones. As for the driveshaft sizes, I'm not sure on the 73 and up but the 3/4 ton shafts on my year are bigger around and also the yokes and u joints are bigger.
ALBATROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 12:47 AM   #3
Destructo

3/4 and 1/2 ton driveshafts have different yokes and u-joints I believe. Having shafts lengthened or shortened isn't too expensive though. You will most likely need to have them lengthened with 6" lift, you'll also need brake lines, steering arm, and you can go with 4" blocks and 2" add a leafs but I would suggest new springs or a 4" shackle flip and 2" springs or AAL.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Regular Cab 2wd 4-banger, 5 speed, Street Pack with 3.73 axle.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 03:12 AM   #4
soleeagle

I put a 6 inch lift on my truck and had no problems with the drive shafts. I was told that if I went any higher I would need longer ones. I have had no problems with mine. Just make sure you lower the transfercace on the frame as told in the directions.

'85 Chevy Silverado 4X4
'91 Chevy 4X4 Suburban

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/545941
soleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:33 AM   #5
wrathchild
LIKE 'EM BIG AND TOPLESS

Yes, there is a difference in the driveshafts like Destructo said,the yokes are different but you can buy a u-joint thru your parts store (dont recall the part#) that is 3/4 on one side and 1/2 on the other to mate a 3/4 driveshaft to a 1/2 ton yoke..it is quite pricey I recall about twenty some bucks but I like the idea of running a much heavier duty driveshaft specially for wheelin duty..

wrath....
wrathchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:00 AM   #6
BowTieMan

Quote:
Originally posted by soleeagle
Just make sure you lower the transfercace on the frame as told in the directions.

I have no idea how to do that. I dont own the truck yet so I cant go look. But doesn't the transfer case connect right to the trans? I haven't looked under a 4x4 that close. And since I'm only 15 I dont own one so I cant see how to do it. could you please explain or show some pictures? thanks.
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:29 AM   #7
soleeagle

I dont have a digital camera to get any pics for you. When you do the lift the bolts for the transfer case crossmember that bolt it to the frame should have a small peice of pipe (about 1" long) on the top side of the frame. You place this in between the frame and crossmember when you put in your lift. This will give you the corect angle you need to use your stock drive shafts. I hope this helps clear it up a little.

'85 Chevy Silverado 4X4
'91 Chevy 4X4 Suburban

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/545941
soleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:04 AM   #8
1tonswb
Account Suspended

It help on the rear pinion angle but makes it worse for the front.
1tonswb is offline   Reply With Quote