The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #1
98Murray

3/4 ton stepside dually

Hi guys and gals. I have a nice 1985 GMC High Sierra 2500 with a 454 and 4 speed standard, 2WD. I am wanting to turn it into a fun little daily driver that can still haul things when needed. I have always wanted a shortbed dually and I have always liked the stepside beds used for these year models, so I want to kill 2 birds with one stone. I need to figure out how to get the dual style wheel on the front but for the rear I was going to find add the parts from a Cab Chassis dually which, I believe uses the same 14 bolt but with different backing plates brakes and hubs, correct me if Im wrong. The cab chassis duallys are mush narrower than the true duallys so I think they will tuck under stepside fenders or be very close. As for the stepside, well that will require a bed and some frame chopping. Quite an ambitios project honestly. Kinda looking for some opinions and suggestions from yall. Heres a photo of my GMC and a photo of kinda what I want to build.

98Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
f.monroe

Re: 3/4 ton stepside dually

This one is sitting in a field about an hour from you. Don't know anything about it but if Im ever by it again I will see if I can get any info on it.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #3
74CustomK20

To use the rear end you will have to move spring perches, or shorten a true 1 ton frame... they do tuck nicely though I seen earlier a 1 ton 4x4 with duals in the back on a standard bed, and only stuck out maybe an inch or 2
79 C70 366 Project Dump.
74CustomK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:53 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I don't know about the parts swapping question..I have a 1 ton cab chassis though. I'm pretty sure the step side bed will not fit over the outside tire width the 1 ton axle will give you..a thought though you could easily widen the stepper bed a few inches to cover the tires though. Just so happens I have my neighbors stepper bed on my lift so he could redo his wood floor.ill measure it in morn and get em to you...you right about one thing though...FUN TO DRIVE..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:03 PM   #5
f.monroe

Sorry for the crappy pics
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2016, 06:13 AM   #6
andrewmp6

The cab and chassis 14 bolt is 63.5 inches wide while the single and dually 14 bolt is 67 inches wide.Some people do run that cab and chassis rear end if your truck sits high enough you won't have any rubbing problems.The ones that did have rubbing problems was the inter wheel hitting the inter fender on a fleet side bed and the truck was lowered ish.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I measured the stepper bed and its 77" on the inside of the fender rolled lips..my 1 ton rear outside the tires is a tick over 83"..and also note the rear end for a dually truck is a dana 70..the 1 ton cab chassis rear end is a 14 bolt..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote