The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #1
yossarian19

Help with rear end ID?

The junkyard way out in mining country has a collection of oldies sitting around. Some junk was in the way of me climbing under one of them to try and ID a rear end, but I remember some clues that I hope some of you can work with.
The truck had a six lug rear.
It had IFS.
It had drum brakes.
It was 2wd.
Tailgate, cab & engine all missing. Don't know for sure what it was.
I think / hope it adds up to "Early GM C10 12 bolt rear" because I want to put posi & rear discs into my '57.
What say ye - sound like a probable 12 bolt?
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Help with rear end ID?

Sounds like you went up to NSJ and to Whittelsy's place. Have an approximate year of the truck?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:12 AM   #3
70'

Very well could be. A pic would have made for a positive ID. Trouble you run into is a lot of these old rigs have been frankensteined together over the years and many times what was or should be in it, or under it is long gone.
70' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:12 AM   #4
yossarian19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Sounds like you went up to NSJ and to Whittelsy's place. Have an approximate year of the truck?
Yep, Whittelsy's it was. Only my second trip up there. Love the place!
You're lucky to have Weimar Auto Wrecking just around the corner from you - I have to drive 174 or 49, about 40 minutes either way to get to the good yards. Kilroy's has done me OK over the years, too, they're just a few minutes from the house. If you feel like driving some Saturday AM, come up to Cars & Coffee in Grass Valley - at the Kmart parking lot, 8am-10am. Usually 50-100 cars show up.
Anyway.
I really don't know what year it would have been. 1960 --> 1966 is the best I can do. I guess that means it could have been an HOxx, a Dana 44 or a 12 bolt. Possibly a 55T, as well. I'll have to move a few things and climb under there to take a picture.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Help with rear end ID?

did it look like this?

I got this one out of a 1964 C10. had to cut off that bracket for the track bar, but everything else bolted right up....the posi unit in this one is kind of rare though, it was made by Dana and the only other car to use it was the 1964 Corvette.....I was told no parts exist to rebuild it, but Corvette restoration companies make clutch pack kits for them, albeit expensive though....the day I towed my chassis home, I tried to back it into my driveway, that was a no go...kept sliding sideways, so that diff must be tight.....sounds good to me!!!
Ben
Attached Images

snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote