The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #1
pritch

New windshield washer res

It's getting to be registration safety inspection time again, and my green '68 is 100% ready except for windshield washers. I go through this every year. I buy a 2 dollar pump and it lasts just long enough for the inspector to see, then it quits and no washers for the rest of the year. But this year, things are gonna be different. My friend totaled his 90-something Kia Rio (no major injuries) and I managed to snag his washer res/pump assy before he took it to the wrecking yard. Problem is, it sat low in the Kia and has this foot-long snorkel looking filler tube:

I pondered the situation for a time and came up with 2 options: get out the hole saw and let it stick up thru the hood OR try and cut a section out and make it short enough to fit. I thought of several ways. Glues, epoxies and duct tape got nominated and rejected. Then I hit on melting it together.

I cut out a section, then cut that and did a quick test:

It seemed to work. I used my torch and heated up a little piece of 1/2 inch steel until it was just not quite cherry red (probably way to hot) Then held the 2 pieces against it for a few seconds:

So I went ahead with the operation, and this is how it came out:

It's kinda hard to see, but there is fused plastic squeezed out on the inside and outside:

It's a little bit crooked, but a solid weld all around. If I thought it would have worked this well, I'da done a better job!
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote