The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
General23cmp

454 engine brackets

I recently acquired a 454 that was in a 1970 Chevelle (not numbers matching, so don't worry), and it was configured to look original to it with the compressor on the driver side and alternator on the passenger side. I'd like to swap it around to make it look right for my 1972.

Does anyone know the correct part numbers for the alternator, compressor, and power steering pump brackets for a 454 engine to make look close (or just like) to original (compressor on passenger side, alt on driver side)? I'm not sure if the PS pump brackets would be the same. Also, does anyone know if a modern style compressor (like a vintage air system would have) will bolt up to a factory bracket and align?
General23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: 454 engine brackets

Since the 70 chevelle used a long water pump you need to change that to use a full drive set off a swp 396/402 chevy light truck engine. Rounding up the various numbers isn't easy and finding them is even harder. Best bet is to buy a full set from one source like in the classifieds from a parted truck.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
General23cmp

Thanks. If I used the setup like it came out of the chevelle, would the fan on it and my existing shroud line up, or would it go too deep with the long pump?
Old 04-18-2016, 11:17 PM   #4
General23cmp

Also, will the chevelle manifolds fit?
Old 04-19-2016, 01:55 AM   #5
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by General23cmp View Post
Thanks. If I used the setup like it came out of the chevelle, would the fan on it and my existing shroud line up, or would it go too deep with the long pump?
The pre 72 big block stands like these http://www.manestruckparts.com/store...Category_ID=16 work fine with the small block motor mounts like these, http://www.manestruckparts.com/store...Category_ID=16 Just use grade-8 washers and 7/16-14 bolts. The stands will bolt into existing factory holes in the frame and crossmember moving the big block about 3" inches forward from where the small block was located. To my surprise, my 396 with the long water pump lined right up with the small block shroud. I did have to trim the edge of the shroud to clear the alternator pulley. After much trial and error, and expense, I used a Billet Specialties alternator mount and power steering pump mount. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bs...07pc/overview/ & http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bs...30pc/overview/ I dont know what transmission your using but in my case, I used a 350 Turbo-Hydramatic and again to my surprise, it bolted right in to the transmission crossmember in the existing location and I was able to use the same drive shaft as well...Using the mid-mount location for the right side alternator should leave plenty of room for an AC compressor to be mounted above it. Dont know about the Chevelle manifolds but I would certainly give them a try before buying headers or other manifolds. ~Ghostrider~
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote