The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #1
NJ C10 Guy

Hood alignment woes

I need some help here because I'm not sure what the issue is.

Some of you may know, I had a very small crash a couple months back. Long story short I started the truck in gear and rolled into my fence. My driver's side fender was banged up in the front and it had a very slight kink over the wheel well. The radiator support seemed fine, minus the lip at the top being slightly bent, which I was able to roll back with pliers. I got a repop fender from a local guy that was a paint match.

I tried bolting it up, but I can not for the life of me bolt up the bottom of the fender to the rad support. I have pretty much everything else bolted up minus the bottom 2. I even have a decent gap at the door. Here's a pic:

I also can not get my hood lined up in the front. The gaps at the rear are ok, but the front is off big time. Here are pics:

NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
J Knight

Re: Hood alignment woes

Loosen the 2 radiator support to frame bolts and shift the radiator support to the drivers side to get everything squared back up.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
chrismoore701

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Knight View Post
Loosen the 2 radiator support to frame bolts and shift the radiator support to the drivers side to get everything squared back up.
x2
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
NJ C10 Guy

Quote:

So I don't have to pull the radiator support? That's what I'm really dreading TBH. I can just loosen the mounts and slide it? Sounds relatively easy. Thanks for the help, hopefully it works. I'll post some updates when I get a chance to do it. Right now I'm fighting with a universal throttle cable that's giving me all kinds of hell, but that's another story for another day
Old 04-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Robert8096

No need to pull the support. Like others said above, move the radiator support around to get the opening for the hood square. Then fine tune the gaps with the hood bolts. You can use a ratchet strap to help with getting the opening square.
Robert8096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #6
Keith Seymore

Quote:
x3

You will also need to loosen the vertical bolts at the rear of the fender (top, into the cowl - one per side), and there are some bolts in the rear of the wheelhouse that go to the floor panel that will also need to be loosened (one per side).

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #7
NJ C10 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
x3

You will also need to loosen the vertical bolts at the rear of the fender (top, into the cowl - one per side), and there are some bolts in the rear of the wheelhouse that go to the floor panel that will also need to be loosened (one per side).

K
Thank you, sir. Next nice day I'll head out and give it a shot. I have new bushings for the radiator support but the ones that are in place are in good shape. Would it make sense for me to replace them now, or does that involve more work?