The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
wingviper

1968 C40 Dump Truck - New to Forum

Hey guys! I have been searching the net for a while to try and find some knowledgeable folks on medium duty Chevy trucks and seems like I found them here. This last Christmas, my wife fanangled her family to give me an old farm dump truck they had on their VA farm. I had grown attached to it while visiting when we were dating and she was awesome enough to convince them to let it go. So now I am the proud owner of a C40 dump truck...with no clue where to start, haha.

The basics are that its got a 307 2 barrel, 4 speed manual, single rear axle. Power brakes, manual steering. 149" WB. It runs and drives but its been beaten hard by farm life. This last weekend I did some basic work to it like changed valve cover gaskets and the thermostat. My wife and I's current goal is to convert it to a car hauler if its possible, but it may not have enough usable cab-to-axle length for a rollback like we had hoped. A ramp may be the next option!

Anyways, I had some questions for you all if I may. I have seen some threads about hydroboost and powersteering, etc. I would like to put power steering on the truck and wouldn't mind an upgrade to the braking system for safety as well. What all parts would I need to complete the conversion? Any other recommendations while I am putting those in, such as disc brakes? I am looking for ease of installation, because I have other projects that need my time and money, haha. Is there a donor truck that people tend to get to convert the C40's, etc?

I am also trying to identify the gear ratio and parking brake style (its inoperative) so that I can rebuild it. Anyone know where to look? The truck is currently located 3.5 hours away so I am doing all my research online.

Also, are replacement door hinges or hinge pins available? Are they the same as the C10-30?

I figure this is a good start to get me running. I appreciate any help you guys can offer, my learning curve is very steep on this one. I just really enjoy this body style and because of the family history (my wife learned to drive stick on this thing) I really want to conserve as much as possible but give it a new purpose and life.
Attached Images

wingviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
ClaytonS.

Re: 1968 C40 Dump Truck - New to Forum

What is the condition of the sticker on the inside of the glove box door? That will have the gear ratio on it. What is the gvwr of the truck? I would think it would be pretty light with a 307 and single speed rear but that sure won't be a problem. Stretching the frame to make a roll back is a piece of cake. I have helped my brother stretch frames on semis for pusher axles many times. My '72 has power steering but I don't think its real common, maybe someone else can chime in on that. Great looking truck and it has history with your wife so that is awesome.
ClaytonS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
wingviper

Here is what I got, but I am not sure how to read the Equipment codes like 2505AA. Where can I look that information up?
I assume the power steering is a different steering box and then add a pump. NAPA has pumps and boxes listed but I am not sure if they are applicable.

Thank you!
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
wingviper

I may be mistaken as well, it may not be a 4-speed. My memory is fuzzy. I do not have a solid identification.

And would my truck have the small back glass or the wide? Mine is cracked and I would like to replace it.

Last edited by wingviper; 05-05-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
ClaytonS.

According to your last pic you have the small back window. Your sticker sure doesn't tell much here is what mine is like.
Attached Images

ClaytonS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Welcome to the forum!
Nice truck for sure. One option on the ramp truck is to fab your own. I know a guy who build his own that looks exactly like a Hodges ramp truck. From the way he explained it, looked super easy. Or, when you get it running and tagged, take it to the Hodges factory in KY to have them install one.
3.5 hours away, what county is the truck in?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #7
wingviper

Is the 4 speed manual transmission the CH465? And is the rear axle ratio generally 6.71:1?
Old 05-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
wingviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Nice truck for sure. One option on the ramp truck is to fab your own. I know a guy who build his own that looks exactly like a Hodges ramp truck. From the way he explained it, looked super easy. Or, when you get it running and tagged, take it to the Hodges factory in KY to have them install one.
3.5 hours away, what county is the truck in?
I haven't heard of Hodges I will look them up!

It's down in Bonsack, near Roanoke, VA.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingviper View Post
I haven't heard of Hodges I will look them up!

It's down in Bonsack, near Roanoke, VA.
http://www.hodgescustomhaulers.com/default.html
Bonsack is less than 10 miles from me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote