The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
Howitzer

Another NSS problem

Hi All,

I've searched and haven't found anything that hits the issue on the spot. I have a 700R4 in a '72 tilt column shift. Finally got the needle/column shift gate/transmission detents to all pretty much line up. Issue i'm having now is with the NSS. Truck won't start in neutral and will start in drive but not any other gears. I used the ohmmeter to check continuity and marked the "reverse" section of the switch throw on the NSS housing, then measure the outside parts to the reverse section and put the switch in the middle. With the column in reverse i place the tab of the NSS on the column tab. It does seem that the NSS is all the way over to the left on the top of the column, with the screw tabs at the maximum limits.

Any thoughts?
Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Another NSS problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitzer View Post
Hi All,

I've searched and haven't found anything that hits the issue on the spot. I have a 700R4 in a '72 tilt column shift. Finally got the needle/column shift gate/transmission detents to all pretty much line up. Issue i'm having now is with the NSS. Truck won't start in neutral and will start in drive but not any other gears. I used the ohmmeter to check continuity and marked the "reverse" section of the switch throw on the NSS housing, then measure the outside parts to the reverse section and put the switch in the middle. With the column in reverse i place the tab of the NSS on the column tab. It does seem that the NSS is all the way over to the left on the top of the column, with the screw tabs at the maximum limits.

Any thoughts?

Not sure on that. Would it help to lengthen the slots in the switch so you can slide it over a little more? I think the only other way to change it is by adjusting the shift rod from the trans to the arm on the column but that would throw off your indicator again.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
Howitzer

I thought about extending the slots and then just using a washer on the sheet metal screw to hold it in. Eventually though i'll run out of room on the column housing.

I bought the Lokar Back Up Light kit and put that in today. I'll run reverse off the column NSS switch and the starter cut out on the Lokar transmission tang switch. I had trouble lining up these tangs as well, was still making the switch in drive or reverse, after some mucking around looks like it may work.
Attached Images

Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitzer View Post
I thought about extending the slots and then just using a washer on the sheet metal screw to hold it in. Eventually though i'll run out of room on the column housing.

I bought the Lokar Back Up Light kit and put that in today. I'll run reverse off the column NSS switch and the starter cut out on the Lokar transmission tang switch. I had trouble lining up these tangs as well, was still making the switch in drive or reverse, after some mucking around looks like it may work.

OK, glad you got it sorted out....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote