The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2016, 02:51 AM   #8
13jraven

Re: 4x4 Front Panhard Bar

Sorry, if you have to run a panhard bar on a leaf sprung truck you have bigger problems to worry about it. Ford used to run panhard bars on their leaf sprung trucks but that is Ford and they were POS.

With crossover steering you should not have any issues assuming you have 2 1/2 wide springs. I would check your bushings and shackles first. Make sure everything is torqued. Then I would start looking worn out parts on the axles.

I run ORD crossover on 85 blazer with one tons, 37s, zero rates and 52" springs. The truck is heavy with 6.5 turbo diesel and tracks fine, doesn't bind and is a breeze to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
With crossover steering you DO need a trak bar......here's why, with the stock front to back steering set-up there's no sideways pressure on the axles/springs.
But when you are pushing/pulling SIDEWAYS on the the draglink and knuckle in order to steer, the axle WILL move from side to side without a trak bar. Using a trak bar on leaf spring works fine.....IF you insure that it's as close to parallel to the draglink as possible. I've run more than a few with one.
The 3 link/4 link set-ups are totally different animals and their geometry doesn't apply to leaf springs at all.

Now to put one on yours, you WILL need to be able to do some fab work to mount it.
13jraven is offline   Reply With Quote