The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
kippnidaho

HEI tach vs Non HEI tach

Ok I see repro tachometers for sale. What is the difference between the HEI versus non HEI tachometer.
Thanks

1966 K10 SWB Stepside
2003 Jeep Rubicon
2011 Camaro SS Rag Top
kippnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
forestb

Re: HEI tach vs Non HEI tach

I am no expert but I would say it has to do with whether you have a regular distributor or a HEI distributor.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:16 PM   #3
Chknlyps2

The signal from a standard points type distributor is different than the signal from an HEI distributor. This link explains it. http://www.americanautowire.com/view...c-distributor/
Chknlyps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:03 AM   #4
luvbowties

Smile Re: HEI tach vs Non HEI tach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippnidaho View Post
Ok I see repro tachometers for sale. What is the difference between the HEI versus non HEI tachometer.
Thanks
Just for GM..........HEI is GM's electronic dist., coil in cap, with simple 1-wire hookup--to always hot with key turned to "ON" or to "CRANK"--began widespread use in 1975 and newer GM cars. Reg. dist.[non-HEI] is from older GM cars--1974 and older--having points, external coil, and usually a ballast resistor in series w/the wire going to + side of coil. The HEI puts out much higher voltage to plugs, carries bigger wires, and uses electronic module instead of points/condensor. Both use a rotor button to distribute the fire to the individual cylinders. HEI allows for wider spark plug gap for more complete combustion. Only function of condenser in HEI is for radio noise suppression--nothing to do w/ignition. And, yes, you can replace older points type(reg. dist.) with HEI and gain much joy.
HTH,
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 AM   #5
kippnidaho

Thanks for the replies. I do know the differences between standard and HEI distributors. My question is what if any difference is there on the repro tachometers some are listed as for use with HEI and some do not. I called supplier and they said they did not know if the repro tach would work with HEI. I have both types of distributors so I guess I was just wondering if there is a difference on the wiring to the tach between the two.
Thanks

1966 K10 SWB Stepside
2003 Jeep Rubicon
2011 Camaro SS Rag Top
kippnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:21 AM   #6
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I'll be honest, I did not know there was a difference in a tach between HEI and non-HEI All the tachs I have or seen in use worked with either distributor.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 06-03-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Don't quote me but I think it has to do with filters built into the tach to prevent damage to the gauge or due to voltage issues. I know a buddy was looking at repo tachs and there was non HEI only available and he is running an HEI so he went a different route as he did not want to chance any damage.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
The Rocknrod

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/HEI-T...al-Filter.aspx
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #9
62stepside longbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I'll be honest, I did not know there was a difference in a tach between HEI and non-HEI All that tachs I have or seen in use worked with either distributor.
Yeah neither did I. I have a new sun pro super tach 2 and it says it's universal on the packaging, it works fine with my 261 with points.
my build thread. Sending unit solution
62stepside longbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #10
forestb

Sorry it is hard to gauge the level of knowledge sometimes. I know vary little so I wrongly assume that the same is true of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippnidaho View Post
Thanks for the replies. I do know the differences between standard and HEI distributors. My question is what if any difference is there on the repro tachometers some are listed as for use with HEI and some do not. I called supplier and they said they did not know if the repro tach would work with HEI. I have both types of distributors so I guess I was just wondering if there is a difference on the wiring to the tach between the two.
Thanks
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #11
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox View Post
Yeah neither did I. I have a new sun pro super tach 2 and it says it's universal on the packaging, it works fine with my 261 with points.
Yeah, most of the aftermarket tachs have the built in circuits to deal with points or HEI. It's the factory style dash tachs that have issues.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote