The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2016, 03:17 AM   #1
j.rigby15r

Yet another ball joint removal question

I am trying to remove the lower ball joints on my 64. I went to Orileys and rented their removal tool. After fighting it for over an hour I've come to the conclusion that either this tool is wrong or I am not smart enough to use it. The problem I am having is when I assemble it according to the instructions all pieces won't fit into the c clamp. It looks like the stud is to tall. Below is a picture of the one I rented. I've seen other pictures and other kits look similar. What am I doing wrong. I am putting one of the discs on the top and one on the bottom with one of the cups sandwiched between the bottom disc and the c clamp. This is done in accordance with the instructions and the picture on the box. Like i said when I do this all the parts won't fit in the clamp. Where am I going wrong?
Attached Images

j.rigby15r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:38 AM   #2
ls60apache

Re: Yet another ball joint removal question

hello I use to pound them out with a hammer but I would just slip the open end of the c clamp over ball joint stud use one of the sleeves and disc that will slide over the bottom side of joint {not to interfere with removal}and crank her out. make sure u get the new one started straight as u press it in cocked a little will be tuff. good luck
ls60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
j.rigby15r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls60apache View Post
hello I use to pound them out with a hammer but I would just slip the open end of the c clamp over ball joint stud use one of the sleeves and disc that will slide over the bottom side of joint {not to interfere with removal}and crank her out. make sure u get the new one started straight as u press it in cocked a little will be tuff. good luck
I'll have to try that method. I'm debating on cutting the stud down so the tool will fit as designed. I really don't want to go back to the parts store just to get another tool. It's about 15 miles each way.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
Tazimafied

The tool is designed for the stud to fit through the hole in the clamp. To remove the ball joint with this tool you need to use the disc with the large hole on top without a cup under it and place the clamp over the portion of the stud protruding through the disc. Use the other disc and large enough cup on the bottom so the joint will fall in to it.
Tazimafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #5
j.rigby15r

Thank you for your help. After assembly the press right. I got them out easily. Every video I watched had you cranking from the top so it threw me off. Thanks again.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #6
j.rigby15r

Here's how I got them out.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2016, 12:10 AM   #7
Tazimafied

Tazimafied is offline   Reply With Quote