The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
pimpston65

NOS installed?

as I'm looking at NOS or just new at that time, just window shopping by the way. i had a thought. when a part is new at that time does it mean its installed that way or does it go through more refinement i.e. painted by the factory or coated in some way and we just buy it in its raw stage . so the question is, will it be installed the same way we can buy them?
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Re: NOS installed?

A fender for example would arrive primed in black. The dealership would have to paint the fender to color match the truck.

A horn relay would have been sent in bulk to the assembly plant and installed with the factory specified finish. Whether or not the same finish goes on the NOS retail part I don't know, but, could there also not be a coating to protect it during storage.

I've wondered about that myself. Who's to say the NOS part is exactly the same as the factory installed one.
As the part number changes that will replace the old part that needed replacing, it has changed in some way or else the part number would have remained the same.

An NOS replacement part is far more original than an aftermarket one even if supplied by the same manufacturer.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
pimpston65

the reason i asked this question, i saw 2 parts same part number. yet one was painted black while the other was dull zinc, both had correct boxes with the part number. so thats what got me to thinking about this question.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
HOTFUN

I have seen hood latch plates same part # but black painted like the 60-61 or the black phosphate plated. Same goes for the rear license plate holder as same part # yet galvanized, gold anodized, and even black paint. Just depends on when they were produced.
'72 Cheyenne Super K20 project
'73 Sierra swb 4x4 frame off in paint stage
'74 Cheyenne Super swb w/16k actual
'71 & 72 Cheyenne K10 4x4 swb's
'70 426 HEMICUDA conv SHAKER 4 sp Dana 60
'60 Impala conv 327 PG fac ac loaded 3rd owner
'72 GMC K2500 4x4
'59 Apache CST BBW fleetside swb 283
'73 ElCamino SS LS1 T56 true SS bucket tach
'76 ElCamino SS 52k survivor
'87 Grand National 41k True 2nd to last built in 1987.
'86 K30 454 SRW fleetside CA since new
'88 Trans Am GTA 39k bought new
2018 DEMON plum crazy @ 840HP! "Need for speed"
HOTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
VictoriaHardware

New Old Stock really means “a part that was produced by the original manufacturer that is now out of production”. If it were still in production it would be called New Stock, or just plain New. The only way a private customer could obtain that part “back in the day” was through the Dealership Parts Department.

Now imagine the difference between a vehicle assembly plant and a service parts warehouse. For the Plant, parts arrive ready for the assembly line. They may be in special racks, sub-assembled to other parts, in bulk, or bare metal. For Service those same parts need to be in individual boxes, separate-not sub-assembled, or primer painted for long-term storage. Most times Service parts are exactly like the factory part- a wheel or a sensor for example.

Also many times a “service replacement” part is what is available. For example a part with two sets of holes to fit multiple applications or a part that needs to be painted to match the interior before installation- saves money for the warehouse to reduce the number of stocked items. GM is interested in keeping a car running within reason, not accurate restoration many years later. When there are design changes throughout the years, it is very desirable to make the new part be able to replace the old part. So when the old parts are all sold or scrapped, the new part will supersede it.

So what you buy over the parts counter isn’t always exactly what the car came with. It’s a dirty little secret that suppliers that have rejected parts from the Plant may redirect them to the Service warehouse since they have a lesser quality standard.

You can really touch a nerve amongst some people, Corvette especially, about what makes an NOS part. Some insist that is HAS to be in the original box to be NOS. Some insist that all NOS parts were created equal and there is no such thing as differing condition if it is NOS- even if one was stored on the top shelf in a heated building and another sat on a damp shop floor.

An NOS part is always a better starting point for an accurate restoration than an aftermarket replacement or reproduction. It usually is correct as-is, but it would be best to check it against an unrestored original.
VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
pimpston65

yeah ima NOS hound thanks to yelmer,oem4me,60-66 and LT1 burb thanks guys my wallets hates you all, but my build loves you. anyway i just wanted to know if what i been buying/searching for day and night is the same as production line. just wanted to be as close to factory line correct as possible. im no parts crackhead or nothing or maybe i am??? thanks all for the replys...
Old 06-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

You are saving your NOS boxes are you not?

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #8
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotruk63 View Post
You are saving your NOS boxes are you not?
we,we of course im saving them. duh you schooled me on that!!!