The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
Skunksmash

I'd like to see some beds...

I'd like to see some of those rare medium beds, on a regular cab truck. There has to be some out there. They gotta be rare, but surely someone has done it. To clarify I'm referring to the bed size that is in between the short bed that you'll find on the 73-87, and the longbed that was also typical. There was a bed that was in between those sizes, and IIRC it came on the 4 door ones... or the extended cab... or something.

Has anyone put an in-between sized bed on a regular cab? I really want to see some pics of one, if anyone has them. Thanks !!
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #2
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Re: I'd like to see some beds...

extended cab bed was a long bed cut down
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

They are not rare, they are all homemade and Frankensteins of the factory bed. Get your sawzall and go at it. They are easy to spot because the gas fill was in such a stupid looking spot.

These were all done on the aftermarket conversion extended cabs. Again, not factory stuff.

And why would you want to put a modified bed on a regular cab chassis? On a SWB it will be too long, on a LWB it will leave a gap between the cab and bed about 1.5'. About the same goofy look as putting an 8' bed on a extra long wheel base cab and chassis.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #4
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
They are not rare, they are all homemade and Frankensteins of the factory bed. Get your sawzall and go at it. They are easy to spot because the gas fill was in such a stupid looking spot.

These were all done on the aftermarket conversion extended cabs. Again, not factory stuff.

And why would you want to put a modified bed on a regular cab chassis? On a SWB it will be too long, on a LWB it will leave a gap between the cab and bed about 1.5'. About the same goofy look as putting an 8' bed on a extra long wheel base cab and chassis.
If I were going to do it, this 1.5' gap wouldn't be there. I don't know why anyone who would leave it like that. Also I'd more the tank fill door so that it wasn't in such a "stupid looking spot".

How about those pics if they're not rare? Maybe they're not, but I've never seen one
Old 06-11-2016, 10:55 PM   #5
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
I'd like to see some of those rare medium beds, on a regular cab truck. There has to be some out there. They gotta be rare, but surely someone has done it...
What are you really looking for?

Here are what the beds look like:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=extended+cab

As far as length of the bed, they are very close (within about 2") of a short bed. They just look a lot worse because of the wheel opening and fuel filler placement.

The extended cab bed behind a regular cab isn't really rare, it just doesn't exist. People have customized these trucks in every which way, kinda like a dually blazers or suburbans so you might find one somewhere I guess. It would be easier to photoshop something if you are trying to see what it would look like...
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:34 AM   #6
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

A butchered 8' bed on a regular cab chassis does not exist really. If someone were to remove their 6' bed and extend the frame a few inches and put on a hacked up 8' bed.... why? If someone were to shorten their long wheelbase frame just a few inches to accept a hacked up 8' bed.... why?

The only way those beds existed were on aftermarket conversion extended cabs and extended cab 4 door dually trucks.
Attached Images

When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
A butchered 8' bed on a regular cab chassis does not exist really. If someone were to remove their 6' bed and extend the frame a few inches and put on a hacked up 8' bed.... why? If someone were to shorten their long wheelbase frame just a few inches to accept a hacked up 8' bed.... why?

The only way those beds existed were on aftermarket conversion extended cabs and extended cab 4 door dually trucks.
I'm not sure you're taking my meaning...

I'm talking about a bed that is in in between the shortbed, and the longbed. Perhaps I was wrong about the production beds' length, on the extended cab. So if the shortbed is a 6' bed, and the longbed is an 8' bed, I'd be talking about a modified longbed, which was cut down to 7'. And obviously the truck cut down to match the bed.

If you're asking why anyone would do this, (which I'm not sure if you are) then I'd ask you why anyone ever mods anything. Why do people convert their longbeds into shortbeds? For me, the answer is that I don't like the shortbed. Personally I find it too short, and its length too closely resembles the length of the other half of the truck. I like the bed to be slightly longer, but that's just me. So I was hoping someone here had already had a similar idea, since so many people have already done the shortbed conversion.

So to clarify all this, I'm looking for pics of a regular cab truck, with a 7' bed. Just to see what it looks like.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
Skunksmash

bump

To clarify the thread:

I'm just looking for a 7' bed on a single cab 73-87 chevy truck.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #9
tinydb84

I shortened the front half of my bed 20 inches. The overall length of my truck is that of a shortbed but with a 6 inch shorter wheelbase.

The black strip on the bed is primer. Here is a side shot of the bed:
[/
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #10
carboncrew

There was only the 6.5 bed and 8' bed back in the day

Today on modern pickups we have 5.5, 6.5 and 8' bed.

So I think you're asking for a pic of a 'medium' sized bed, which is the short bed back in the day.

Hope that helps Skunksmash.

My very own build

My tailgating ambulance
carboncrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:47 AM   #11
Skunksmash

Well I'd just like to see one that was dead center between the longbed, and the short bed. I guess nobody has done that. Doesn't really surprise me