The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
Tilt

Another still accelerator pedal thread

I picked up an 85 Sierra Classic a few months back that I've been working on. I noticed when I first got it that the gas pedal was pretty stiff, but parked it and started on the interior and general clean up. I fired it up yesterday for the first time since then and the peddle is really hard. It's stiff enough that once you get it to move, it will hold that position and not return to idle without getting out and physically doing it at the carb. I can kill the truck and everything works and feels like it should. The pedal is not hard and throttle returns with no problem. Any ideas on where to start looking. It has an Edelbrock carb with a 3/4"-1" adapter/spacer.
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:47 PM   #2
junkman

Re: Another still accelerator pedal thread

I just went through similar myself, although mine was hard to push all the time. I picked up an 83, and other than an edelbrock 600 was stock. Pedal was way too stiff to drive 80miles round trip to work comfortably. After several failed attempts, what I ended up with is a lokar hot rod style universal throttle cable, then I shortened the pedal rod about an inch. I have no idea why this was so difficult to get a smooth normal feeling gas pedal, and I can't imagine it was that way from the factory. The pedal did not pull straight on the cable coming through the firewall. I tried bending the pedal every which way, but nothing looked or felt right until I just shortened the pedal.
junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:13 AM   #3
Shady Rascal

I always change my cables on every truck. You can't expect a 30 year old cable to work as smoothly as a new one did.

Rockauto shows two different brand cables for your truck for under 10 bucks each.
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
Tilt

I'm going to replace the cable regardless. It just seems to me, that if it was the cable, it would be stiff both when the truck was running and when it's not running.
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #5
Chrispbrown36

There are two different lengths on the cables....and both are way too long. I have the shortest one (can't remember what the length is) and there is probably a good 10 inches of extra cable before it hits the bracket at the throttle body. This is what makes most pedals stiff. Eventually I will be buying one of the Lokar that can be cut to length. I understand needing to have a little extra length for engine movement and all that, but the lengths available at auto parts store is just too long.
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote