The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2016, 12:37 AM   #26
Gmc.guy

Re: Insurance - Had Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Yep, up north of the border here we call it a 'graduated licensing program'...and its a good thing and a long time coming.
Years ago, I got my license about 3 weeks into being 16 and that program was not around at that time. However, to be quite honest I was probably not responsible enough to be in charge of 2 tons of accelerating steel.
With that said, teenagers unfortunately today are even further behind the curve on being mature and responsible (thanks Mom!!...lol) enough to handle a vehicle without a lot of restrictions helping control that.
As a result, I'm a fan of it....
I think the graduated licensing program has them having a mandatory 'N' attached to the back of the car...then after 1 year then get a 'L', then a year later they can have a full license.
In the meantime...they can only drive during daylight hours up until 10 at night. If there are other teenagers in the car, there has to be an adult present in the car too....a few things like that.
Again, a good thing.
If we had kids at home I would have them lock their phone in the trunk in front of me everytime they left for the first 10 trips out of the yard. I know they would retrieve it within a block the first 9 times...but I would hope they would at least consider giving it a pass on the 10th time....knowing what it would mean to me to 'leave it alone' until you get there.
A cell phone in their hand or beside them will injure or kill them long before their lack of driving ability.
My two bits.
Coley
I agree. There's also the zero tolerance for alcohol until graduated. I think that helps a lot too
Old 07-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #27
palallin

Restricting teens from driving at night pretty well prevents them from getting that job some of you are so eager to have them get.

[Rant]

As for the phones, if you don't provide smart phones for them and teach them that the phone is a phone, not a toy (and abide by the same rule yourself), you'll have less trouble with them. Our sons have ancient phones--no data, texting disabled. If a phone rings when we are driving, someone else in the vehicle answers it or it doesn't get answered. No parent has a right to claim his or her teen isn't responsible enough. If so, it ain't society's fault: it's the parents'.

[/Rant]
Old 07-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #28
jeffahart

These kids Uber eveywhere on the weekends now. I know, I get the Uber bills, and I'm happy to pay them! Driving after one sip of alcohol is forbidden if you have possession of one of my vehicles, I don't care if your 21 years old or 50 years old.<- (that a big PERIOD)

But no driving after dark... that pretty much puts them afoot in the winter. It's dark when they leave for school, and dark by 5:00 pm. Draconian!
Old 07-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #29
Coley

Smile Re: Insurance - Had Enough

Quick follow up on those teenage driver rules...at least 'up in these parts'
I had the order wrong on that...you start with the 'L' (learner) sticker on the back of the car (1 yr) then move to the 'N' (sticker too).
The restrictions for the initial 16 year old include: You have to drive with an adult supervisor (25 yrs) +, no more than 1 additional passenger, and I had the no night driving rule incorrect...it actually is no driving between midnight and 5 am. As well...absolutely NO electronic devices (cell phones, etc) and absolute zero tolerance for alcohol.
After a year you get your 'L' (...now 17 yrs old)...they lighten up a bit (no night/morning restrictions) but still no electronic devices.

That said, as far as insurance rates are concerned for teens, you might be able to get a cost break if you put your kid through a quality, accredited teen driving school.
I've seen this relate to insurance rates being reduced in the past....its a great investment and it makes perfect sense.

all Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #30
GR8-68

This is what my grandad told me "you wantto drive" Yes "get a job then, I can't afford to pay everyones insurance" so I got me a job pumping gas and checking their oil as I finished up with a windshield wash. Yes, that's what was called a service station I rode my bike to work until I had saved enough money to buy my first car for 125.00, a 1974 Gremlin X with a 304 v8, got my own insurance policy and been driving since.

When our son was old enough to get his permit guess what ? Yep you guessed it, get a job if you want to drive and buy a car and an insurance policy. So he did, he worked saved enough money to buy a 1998 Malibu that this elderly fellow had in his garage for 500.00 and got him an insurance policy. It is called growing up with responsibility.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:51 AM   #31
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
You'll love this $100,000.00 liability on my 95 GMC 2500/Z-71 ---$22.50 a month and I can drive just as fast just as reckless as any 17 year old out there . Oops gotta go I'm texting as I drive in traffic !

Insurance , Had enough .....you haven't had any YET ! Wait until a few tickets hit his record .lots of kids are walking until 18 when their parents just can't afford to pay for insurance .let alone a classic truck .Sometimes you just have to say no .
Well heck, name that insurance company. I need a new quote!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #32
Coley

Smile Re: Insurance - Had Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post

When our son was old enough to get his permit guess what ? Yep you guessed it, get a job if you want to drive and buy a car and an insurance policy. So he did, he worked saved enough money to buy a 1998 Malibu that this elderly fellow had in his garage for 500.00 and got him an insurance policy. It is called growing up with responsibility.
I guarantee you....that is definitely not the 'norm' or the average situation today....luckily there are a few exceptions to this cultural shift in parenting, but they are the exceptions.
Increasingly fewer teens work jobs (unless its for family) while in high school. Their funding and costs are now regarded as part of the parents responsibilities or at least have been taken on as such and this includes phones, etc...pretty much all costs.
This can be a tricky conversation to have with people currently dealing with this new generation of kids and teens....
(Just be glad someone didn't bring up the 'S-trip'...lol)

Regardless...back to the insurance bit...put the kids through driver training...its good for them and you should get a break on the insurance.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #33
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
But,but,but that would time away from Pokémon , how could they survive ?
They may not survive anyway. Darwinism!

Two players in California literally walked off a cliff chasing down a Pokémon while glued to their smart phone screens.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #34
Tkmadone

I've never understood why insurance doesn't insure the driver, not the vehicle. Everybody should have a basic liability insurance card that allows then to drive any vehicle, then if you want collision or theft or whatever, that would be on the vehicle.

Just a way to fleece people who own more than one car...
Tkmadone is offline   Reply With Quote