The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
bean

Late model washer pump

Who has updated theirs and what did you use?
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
Coley

Smile Re: Late model washer pump

I just used a standard 12 volt washer pump from a local auto parts store...about $15 maybe. It wires to one of the back (blue?) terminals on the same washer pump switch...you might have to test a bit to find out which one provides a 'touch' signal when you push the wiper/washer button in.
I can't recall if I mounted it up high under the dash or 'hid it' somewhat under the hood.
Regardless....way better washing unit than the original driven off the wipers. I've never had those work long...or well.
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #3
bean

Re: Late model washer pump

Some time ago I saw someone post where they had used the pump and bottle from a later model van/truck. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
Coley

Well, I re-used all of the original reservoir and lines....and I simply redirected the pump source to them/vice versa.
You could probably use any number of newer electric pumps.

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
landy

Similar to what Coley did. I purchased a 12v pump from auto parts store, or maybe LMC and mounted it next to washer fluid reservoir. Ran power wire to original switch on dash and rerouted washer hoses. Pushing switch activates spray.

There's a write-up on it (not from me) on this subforum or the 1967-72 Blazer forum.

It works great and is way easier than trying to replace the factory pump set-up.
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
In The Ten Ring

VERY TIMELY QUESTION!

I am in the middle of this same project. I bought a Trico (I think) washer pump from O'Reilly's Auto Parts and I decided (after much thought) to mount it to the forward side of the original washer fluid bottle bracket. *This pump is kept on stock by the store, I am sure each auto parts store has one for sale.

I traced out a template from paper and a notebook cover and cut it out of 1/8" aluminum yesterday with my Dremel tool's cutting disks. I just now cleaned the old reflective tape and adhesive from the piece (I guess it was a sign in years past).

I'm going to mount it with some small bolts and run the wires under the washer bottle bracket, over the inner fender, and patch into the original wiring for the squirter. I am going to run the hose from the pump through the outer fender (the outer fender opening is right there) and into the two squirters.

I wish I had pics for you. The pump cost about $15.00 and saved me a trip to the junkyard looking for the same thing in Lord knows what condition.

*To make room for the bolt heads I am going to space this piece off of the bottle bracket with a couple of washers.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
custom10nut

Great timing. I'm toying with a spare stock assembly, and I think I have it working. All I really did was disassemble the whole thing and clean out 45 years worth of gunk and dirt. Inside the intake was packed full and the four little filter holes had to be cleaned out with a dental pick. Before I go the remote pump route I'm going to pull my pump out and clean it the same way, then put it back in. We'll see what happens then. If I it doesn't work, then I go the remote route. Some people say I'm hard headed
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
truckster

I used a pump and reservoir from an S-10. I wired it into the stock switch. It works fantastic.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #9
bean

Do you have any pics of it or the wiring? Thanks
Old 07-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #10
truckster

I'll have to rummage through my old computer. I'll have the Blazer here at the house later this week, and I could take a picture then. I made a small harness so I could leave the original wiring intact.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Great timing. I'm toying with a spare stock assembly, and I think I have it working. All I really did was disassemble the whole thing and clean out 45 years worth of gunk and dirt. Inside the intake was packed full and the four little filter holes had to be cleaned out with a dental pick. Before I go the remote pump route I'm going to pull my pump out and clean it the same way, then put it back in. We'll see what happens then. If I it doesn't work, then I go the remote route. Some people say I'm hard headed
That's commendable actually. I usually rework the original parts but it was just so much easier to replace it. Also, since I am mounting the new pump under the hood, it'll be easier to check/fix/replace in case something goes wrong again. But KUDOS to you sir!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Late model washer pump

Try this thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=7582990

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote