The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
Mrturner1

Anybody running Cragar Soft 8's?

I searched and there IS a thread like this but it's from 2003 and only 4 guys had em so I'm hoping a few more do now.

I'm looking at some Cragar Soft 8's because my dream wheels for the C10 have always been Weld Draglites, but I can never find a used set and new ones are really expensive. With a good amount of "lip" on them they look kinda cool, was thinking either drag style 15's or maybe 17's if I get a wild hair. Probably gonna go with black to but still undecided

Show me what you got guys
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
Gromit

Re: Anybody running Cragar Soft 8's?

Not the Soft8 specifically; but I did try bolting up one of the similar Cragar Deluxe 69 Series wheels - and on that version one thing different from the factory steel wheel is that the metal under the lugs flexes quite a bit as you are torqueing them down. It is downright springy. I never torqued the wheel all the way up to the 75 ft pounds but I went up to maybe 45 or so and that is what I noticed - maybe it is okay because I would expect that these wheels are engineered using Finite Element Analysis software - more like the stock wheels were over-engineered I hope.

After that experience I looked at the specs for that Cragar 69 series and noticed the load rating was only 1500 pounds per wheel.

The soft 8 has a load rating of 2200 pounds per wheel; (more like it IMO); but the center looks just like the center on the deluxe 69 series with the 1500 pound rating.

Here's photos

p.s. When I wrote "Center" I mean just the part under the lugs - not the entire center..
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
n33k0

Re: Anybody running Cragar Soft 8's?

I'm also interested in seeing some trucks with soft 8s. I'm thinking about getting a set of chrome 17s and these Cragars are hard to beat priced the way they are.