The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
davbowen

c10 frame panhard bar crossmember

why is the frame cross member on my 1963 mounted on an angle. its the cross member directly behind the rear axle. the trac bar bracket is mounted to it and my new cpp deluxe trac bar doesn't even come close to lining up. is the cross member on an angle to get more access to factory panhard bar.
davbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
62chevy302
hillbilly

Re: c10 frame panhard bar crossmember

I believe you will need an upper panhard bar mount/crossmember from 65-up
Old 10-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
davbowen

well thank kind of sucks. I guess i'll just move the bracket then.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
forestb

do you have a photo? was there a track bare on there that you are replacing that lined up ok? On the one that I ordered from cpp it lined up fine but as to long so I had to cut it down and rethread it.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
davbowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
do you have a photo? was there a track bare on there that you are replacing that lined up ok? On the one that I ordered from cpp it lined up fine but as to long so I had to cut it down and rethread it.
this all started will my 63. found out it has a 65 rear end that is pushed to the right about 1". had original trac bar that hits the diff cover. but since its got a 5" drop I figured that why its off. ok so I order a cpp deluxe trac bar. well cpp indicated it for a 65 and up. maybe that's why 63-64 are different mounting. in the picture you can see that the cross member is mounted on an angle. little over 1" from square to frame. why GM would mount it on an angle is just baffling. 1 picture shows how far I need to move the mount. I just got the truck 2 months ago, had cheap bags on it so I got springs, shock relocal kit c-notch kit and trac bar, I figured zip zam zoom done 1 week end. well guess what.......what is the best way to get the rivets out? my plan is to use blow torch off the heads and then drill, any better ideas? any and all advice would be helpful, im an old time gearhead trying to take life easy. I got the skills to fix it just not the time any more.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
gofastnut

I'd say blow their heads off with a torch, then use a punch and tap/hammer/beat them out.
As far as the bracket, I dunno.
It'll be interesting to hear from the experts, aka the guys that have been doing this longer than I've been alive.
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
forestb

I would say relocate the bracket.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
MisterC

I did this on my '66 last year to install the Porterbuilt bar. I ground the heads off, drilled the rivets and then just punched the remaining out. It was frustrating as hell until I found the technique that worked for me, then it went smooth. Part of my problem was that I had my bed on still. I'd say just grind and punch in your situation.
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
mano

I had the same problem last year with my 64. It had the same bracket you have on my tk, but someone changed my rear end to a 70 rear. I went through 3 different cpp bars before I got it right. I used the cpp bar with the angle for the diff. It worked perfect center the rear end even with 8in wheels. btw my tk was bagged with a c notch.
mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
62chevy302
hillbilly

I have seen 3 frames like that where the drive shaft fits in the whole to the right. I know my frame was bent. But unsure of the other two. Is this a common thing?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
davbowen

I never thought of the frame being bent. I did measure from the rear cab mounts to rivets on top the frame over axle and they are the same. I can't measure cross frame front to back cuz the cab and front clip are still in place. guess i'll have to wait till winter we I take it all off.

Mano, did you leave the bracket place with the correct cpp bar?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
mano

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbowen View Post
I never thought of the frame being bent. I did measure from the rear cab mounts to rivets on top the frame over axle and they are the same. I can't measure cross frame front to back cuz the cab and front clip are still in place. guess i'll have to wait till winter we I take it all off.

Mano, did you leave the bracket place with the correct cpp bar?
Yes. It interfered with the notch so I had to trim the notch back some. But I left in the same location. I do think you should have enough room if you had to move it. My 65 & my 66s have a different mountingbracket. I think thats a 63-64 bracket. Keep in mind ive owned over 25 of this tk. If you need more help pm me & I send you my phone #. Or if I get a chane I can post a pic.
mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
davbowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano View Post
Yes. It interfered with the notch so I had to trim the notch back some. But I left in the same location. I do think you should have enough room if you had to move it. My 65 & my 66s have a different mountingbracket. I think thats a 63-64 bracket. Keep in mind ive owned over 25 of this tk. If you need more help pm me & I send you my phone #. Or if I get a chane I can post a pic.
well I got my oxy/acety tanks filled today and behold the results. I ended up modifying and moving the existing bracket. you can see how far I had to move it and had to give it a twist. i got about 3/4" of adjustment left. the axle is square and straight with the frame to within 1/16". close enough for now. i recheck it after i put some miles on to see if it bounces around at all. now with that done i'll start the c-notches tomorrow. thanks for all the help and comments. it nice to hear from people hear who really what your talking about or have been there. i had a '36 ford truck some 35 years ago and a 55 chevy p/u 20 years ago but this is my first mid 60's c10. thanks all!
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #14
crakarjax

I've got the exact same panhard mount as this on my 68 3/4 ton, and the bar wants to sit right where you have it pictured. It looks though like it might push my rear too far to the passenger side with the bar fully compressed. Were you able to center your rear with this setup?

Edit: I have my bar mounted the opposite way as yours is pictured, and from what I see yours is correct... so I'll flip mine and see what happens.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #15
The Rocknrod

Dont feel pregnant: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=661523
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:08 PM   #16
davbowen

yes the rear end centered up just fine. it's been in almost 3yrs and is working great I just painted it all black to match the rest of the chassis.